handy chart of denominations with doctrinal elements

These ASK ABOUT topics are focused on INFORMATION about new paths, rather than on sharing our personal journey. Please keep it to one topic per new path. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their new path is wrong or why we disagree with them.
agricola

handy chart of denominations with doctrinal elements

Post by agricola »

h**p://www.gordonconwell.edu/mentored-ministry ... 1-2012.pdf

This was interesting! I was idly googling whether Baptists were or were not Calvinists (apparently it depends on WHICH Baptists) and then googled whether CoC was Arminian (which it is, by the way) and found this chart.

Enjoy.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Opie

Re: handy chart of denominations with doctrinal elements

Post by Opie »

Thanks for the link to this very interesting chart, agricola. I printed a copy to keep for reference.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
Moogy

Cessationist

Post by Moogy »

I did not realize there was a formal term for the doctrine that gifts of prophecy, tongues, healing, etc. have ceased. Apparent the term is Cessationist. Naturally, I am familiar with the convoluted COC "proof" of this doctrine. It is interesting that this chart does not label COC as Cessationist. I looked up the definition when I saw it applied to Presbyterian Churches. Given the Cambells' roots in the Presbyterian Church, it is understandable that they carried this doctrine with them.

Also note if you are studying this chart--Church of Christ is not listed alphabetically like most of the denominations. It is two pages after Christian Church/Churches of Christ, just after "Church of the Nazarene."
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Findingmyway

Re: handy chart of denominations with doctrinal elements

Post by Findingmyway »

Thank you for sharing