can anyone explain UU to me?

These ASK ABOUT topics are focused on INFORMATION about new paths, rather than on sharing our personal journey. Please keep it to one topic per new path. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their new path is wrong or why we disagree with them.
FinallyFree

Re: can anyone explain UU to me?

Post by FinallyFree »

I thought about visiting the one in my area before we ended up at the Disciples of Christ. From looking at their website, I felt it was just too liberal for me and my husband would not like it. We ended up at the perfect place for us. I am glad I am at a church that is Christian in its teachings. Many atheists are at UU churches, and like you said, it is like a social club. I am sure they do good things and help others, though.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

FinallyFree wrote:I thought about visiting the one in my area before we ended up at the Disciples of Christ. From looking at their website, I felt it was just too liberal for me and my husband would not like it. We ended up at the perfect place for us. I am glad I am at a church that is Christian in its teachings. Many atheists are at UU churches, and like you said, it is like a social club. I am sure they do good things and help others, though.
Definitely stay away from atheists! There is a rumor going around that they are contagious and there is no known cure! Once infected.......it’s going to be hell for you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of all the minority rights being advocated it seems no one is fighting for atheists rights. :shock: That needs to be corrected. There needs to be marches, we need to choose a color and wear ribbons to proudly identify ourselves. We need a flag.......and we need our own bathrooms!! :o :shock:

And we need our own float in the Pasadena Parade! :ugeek: Are we not human simply because we do not believe in supernatural Deities? :evil: 8-) :lol:

Thank you Finally Free for bringing this outrageous trampling of our rights to the light of day! 8-) :lol:
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Cootie, I did not mean anything negative about atheists. Two of my kids are atheists. My daughter said if she ever joined a church, it would be a UU church. I just meant that kind of church is not right for me, I still want to have God as part of my church. I have managed, despite all the trauma in my life, to maintain a belief in a higher power. I will add I enjoy the liturgical year and Christian traditions and teachings like the Good Samaritan—these contain universal truths that transcend all religions. I was raised with that and I am still able to maintain some of that in my life without CofC negativity.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

FinallyFree wrote:Cootie, I did not mean anything negative about atheists. Two of my kids are atheists. My daughter said if she ever joined a church, it would be a UU church. I just meant that kind of church is not right for me, I still want to have God as part of my church. I have managed, despite all the trauma in my life, to maintain a belief in a higher power. I will add I enjoy the liturgical year and Christian traditions and teachings like the Good Samaritan—these contain universal truths that transcend all religions. I was raised with that and I am still able to maintain some of that in my life without CofC negativity.
I was kidding you FF. I wasn’t offended, just having some fun with ya. ;)
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Good, Cootie! I will try not to take you too seriously!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Definitely stay away from atheists! There is a rumor going around that they are contagious and there is no known cure! Once infected.......it’s going to be hell for you! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ida know. I've been around tons of them and I never caught anything. :lol:

I first dated an avowed atheist -- a very interesting, smart, well read and handsome young man -- back in the mid seventies. He was also a self described Marxist. Sister Ivy's mind was just about blown. :lol: Needless to say, I ultimately moved on from him. But he was adorable and my memories of him are fond. :D
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:Of all the minority rights being advocated it seems no one is fighting for atheists rights. :shock:
Cootie, do you really believe that? It seems to me that atheists have a lot of people out there fighting for their right to be free from oppression.

But it is true that atheists "ain't got no songs". :lol:
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

FinallyFree wrote:Good, Cootie! I will try not to take you too seriously!
That would be a smart thing to do. ;) My wife definitely doesn’t take me seriously that is probably why she’s been able to hang in there with me for nearly 54 years. 8-)
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:Of all the minority rights being advocated it seems no one is fighting for atheists rights. :shock:
Cootie, do you really believe that?
I post a lot of stuff. Some of it is occasionally true but it’s mostly me just stirring the pot. I am definitely a pot stirrer. Controversy makes for a much more interesting board. If we all only posted benign noncontroversial stuff the board would soon die. I consider it my duty and calling to keep the pot stirred. 8-)

It’s a thankless job but somebody has to do it. :mrgreen: Maybe my motto should be, “Tread softly but carry a big spoon.” :lol:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:
Ivy wrote:
Cootie, do you really believe that?
I post a lot of stuff. Some of it is occasionally true but it’s mostly me just stirring the pot. I am definitely a pot stirrer. Controversy makes for a much more interesting board. If we all only posted benign noncontroversial stuff the board would soon die. I consider it my duty and calling to keep the pot stirred. 8-)

It’s a thankless job but somebody has to do it. :mrgreen: Maybe my motto should be, “Tread softly but carry a big spoon.” :lol:
You didn't answer my question. :)