The Methodists

These ASK ABOUT topics are focused on INFORMATION about new paths, rather than on sharing our personal journey. Please keep it to one topic per new path. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their new path is wrong or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

The Methodists

Post by B.H. »

The Methodist Church in town has split. The biggest one and the second biggest one are not felloshiping each other any more and a bunch left the first and biggest for the other.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Moogy

Re: The Methodists

Post by Moogy »

The denomination is experiencing a major division. The stated reason is whether gays and lesbians can be married in the church, by Methodist pastors. However, underlying themes are MONEY and POLITICS.
Episcopalians, Presbyterians, and one branch of Lutherans (ELCA) had similar splits in past years.
I left the Methodists when the 2019 UMC General Conference refused to tolerate different opinions on gay issues.What is weird is the anti-gays WON the vote at the Conference in 2019, but now they are the ones who have created a new denomination (the Global Methodist Church). Some congregations are leaving the UMC and joining the GMC. It is all quite confusing.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Yes. First Methodist is the liberal one whereas St. Luke ( 11 Ave relocated) is the conservative one. St Andrew's, Central, and Wesley Memorial all closed years ago. I grew up across the street from Centrals parsonage. Many a Methodist minister from there loaned me many a book as a child and young adult. I'm actually sad for the Methodists.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

Moogy

Where did you go after the Methodists?
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

teresa wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:13 am Moogy

Where did you go after the Methodists?
I am not attending any church right now. My rural area doesn’t offer much variety.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages