Shrinking Presbyterian

These ASK ABOUT topics are focused on INFORMATION about new paths, rather than on sharing our personal journey. Please keep it to one topic per new path. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their new path is wrong or why we disagree with them.
faithandmore

Shrinking Presbyterian

Post by faithandmore »

I just read somewhere that the Christian denomination losing the most members is the Presbyterian.

I wonder why. Anyone know?
Moogy

Re: Shrinking Presbyterian

Post by Moogy »

A few years ago, the denomination split over LBGT issues. Same thing the Methodists are doing currently. I don’t know how that affected total members, but it couldn't have helped.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

Moogy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:06 pm A few years ago, the denomination split over LBGT issues. Same thing the Methodists are doing currently. I don’t know how that affected total members, but it couldn't have helped.
I remember that several years back. Our church lost quite a few members because of it.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

My denomination (Disciples of Christ) has greatly declined in membership. It is a more liberal denomination, and that has hurt it, I think. I love my church, though. Several years ago, I did not think there was a church in existence that fit what I believed. But, through what I believe was an episode of divine intervention, we happened upon the perfect church.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

More and more people are converting to Islam.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I think the reason so many are leaving the Presbyterian, Methodist, or Disciples and other liberal groups is because those denominations theologians dont believe the Bible they are supposed to preach from. The Holy Quran teaches and my historical studies have show the Bible is corrupt and untrustworthy. But you dont see me being a Christian pastor either. You shouldnt bv e a preacher for a church if you think your holy book is not true
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I think there are many reasons people are leaving various religions and sects; one of the main reasons, as I see it, is the abundant access to information of all kinds. If what someone says to be true is an untruth, people can easily find out. Now, if they choose to disregard valid, verified information and scientific facts, that's another matter entirely.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

My Archbishop was preparing for Presbyterian ministry before he discovered the Anglican church. His father was a long-time Presbyterian minister within a conservative Presbytery. The Presbyterians are almost as good at spawning break-away churches as Anglicans and Lutherans. And it is easier for them because their church government is less hierarchical.
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

Ivy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:45 am I think there are many reasons people are leaving various religions and sects; one of the main reasons, as I see it, is the abundant access to information of all kinds. If what someone says to be true is an untruth, people can easily find out. Now, if they choose to disregard valid, verified information and scientific facts, that's another matter entirely.
It seems there's a good deal of people left who do choose to wilfully disregard truth, scientific facts, and evidence. I remember all kinds of things I was taught as a child, that I've learned, even in just the past ten years, are totally wrong/false.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

faithandmore wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:22 pm It seems there's a good deal of people left who do choose to wilfully disregard truth, scientific facts, and evidence. I remember all kinds of things I was taught as a child, that I've learned, even in just the past ten years, are totally wrong/false.
The sun revolves around the earth. The Bible says so.
The earth is flat. The Bible says so.
Christianity is a white religion. The Bible says so.
Everyone must work and take care of themselves or starve and die a miserable death. The Bible says so.
Pictures of the earth taken from space show it is round. They're fake pictures.
Mankind is not only ignorant, mankind is hideous in its ignorance. They are murderous, they kill or enslave whoever they want when they want and live to justify it. Beyond that, rationality, intelligence, and knowledge throughout world history have not fared well. Hence the saying "history repeats itself".