Ask about Catholicism

These ASK ABOUT topics are focused on INFORMATION about new paths, rather than on sharing our personal journey. Please keep it to one topic per new path. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their new path is wrong or why we disagree with them.
natv

Re: Catholicism - feel free to ask

Post by natv »

I was raised a Catholic and fell away because I didn't really understand the faith. I then attended Full Gospel churches and eventually the CofC. I remember hearing all the Catholic bashing back then. After leaving the CofC, I returned to the Catholic church and realized just how much I didn't know about the faith.
Oh, one thing I want to mention is later I saw some CofC members I knew that were trying to get me back in. I told them I went back to the Catholic church. One of them said, "Call no man your father." I replied, "Does that mean that you can't call your dad, father?" No reply. :)
KLP

Post by KLP »

I think there is a lot to like about the RCC and even a good bit of the doctrine. I have come to a point where I can see the argument even if I do not agree or accept that POV. I listen to various bits of EWTN Catholic Radio almost everyday for months now. I think the main sticking point for me is the Marian dogmas. I know the numerous arguments, the use of Rev 12 and also the reference to her body, the OT references, the analog to the Ark of the Covenant, etc. I get the parallels. But being queen of heaven, having a role in salvation, ranking over the angels, etc are bigger issues for me than is the original sin conception aspect. I really do not care about the perpetual/eternal virgin thing either. I just can't see the salvation role of Mary in the Trinity. I probably could get past all the sacrament stuff...even maybe eventually at least toeing the line on the body of Christ being present in communion. I could see myself getting past of lot of stuff because there is a lot of good/great stuff. But not Mary.

I keep hearing how that is would read "Behold Your Mother" that I would finally get it...I think I get the argument, I just cannot seem to get past that one. I do not see how accepting testimonials and meditations from others would change my logic on this topic. I wonder how people who were not only raised non-Catholic but radically opposed to RCC ever get past these issues.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
katisha

Post by katisha »

When I was in grade school, we lived a few blocks from a Catholic school and convent. I loved seeing the nuns in their long dark habits. I heard mass done in Latin and thought it was so beautiful. I really seriously thought about becoming catholic with the aim at becoming a num. Then puberty set in. But that is another story.

I have recently been listening to a call in show on EWTN radio for non-Catholics. I have heard a lot of logical explanation of why Catholics believe as they do. I have no issue with most of that. But they have not fully addressed the worship of Mary to my satisfaction yet.

there is one thing I do know...I would join the Catholic church in a heart beat, even if I don't fully understand everything they believe, if Hubby would come with me. I think it would be good for both of us.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
KLP

Post by KLP »

I take lunch at various times, so sometimes I get the Dr Is In guy, or Kresta, or the Call to Communion which is for non-Catholics. Or comeitme Catholic Answers live. I get a chuckle out of some of it, sometimes they use big words and seem to try to avoid a difficult topic...just some fancy talk and some story about Augustine or something and badaboom..the question is supposedly answered. The real answer is because they "believe it" or it is official church doctrine and they just accept it. And that is fine, but usually they try to avoid just saying "because the church says so" and try to frame it as a logical response...and I get the feel that it is some fast talking to avoid just saying "because the church says so".

But the shows do tend to answer the same questions over and over as the callers seems to have the same issues/questions over and over. And that is OK, it is just people.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
HighLiter871

Post by HighLiter871 »

The Catholic priest who helped me with my conversion experience was, like me, an adult convert from Protestantism. He said the biggest obstacle for him initially was Marian beliefs, and that he still struggled with it somewhat, even after gaining much insight and appreciation.

For the record, the Blessed Mother's part in salvation history was saying "yes" to God's request that she bear His son. Scripture doesn't bother to point out that she had a choice, but the Church has made it clear that she was not forced, and that her consent made the whole thing possible. She could have succumbed and defied God's plan, just as Christ theoretically could have done when tempted by the devil in Scripture. But she didn't.

I can just imagine how I would've responded, had I been a young country girl and found myself confronted by the angel Gabriel with such a proposal. "Lord, I'm just not really qualified to do this . . I know 3 or 4 girls a little older, any one of whom would really make an ideal choice . . . (I've got a pretty nice life going here, up till now!) . . . and besides, I've got this rash . . .

Of course, she had the advantage of being conceived immaculately, preserved from the stain of Original Sin, for just this purpose. So God was on pretty firm ground. :c)

And as for being crowned Queen of Heaven, that in no way transforms her into a deity. She was and is a human being, one of the created and not a part of the Creator. Which is why she is not "worshipped." She is one of us and, thanks to her, so is her Son, who according to the Church, is both fully God and fully man.
katisha

Post by katisha »

HighLiter871 wrote:Of course, she had the advantage of being conceived immaculately, preserved from the stain of Original Sin, for just this purpose. So God was on pretty firm ground.
Where can I find this in the Bible? I have looked but I seemed to have missed that part of the story of Christ's birth.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

Katisha, that is a very Church of Christ question.
katisha

Post by katisha »

NeverAgain wrote:Katisha, that is a very Church of Christ question.
It was not meant to be. I am earnest in my search for understanding. When I became a member of the CofC I followed blindly. Now I like to know what it is that I am thinking about believing and I want to understand in the most total way I can. I have searched the scriptures and have not found where it says that Mary was born of immaculate conception. If it says that, then I definitely want to know so I am fully informed. I am not trying to be snarky. I have felt for some time that Catholicism is the path I should follow, but the concept of Mary is a block for me. If I can understand it clearly and fully, then I may be able to go forward with what I feel I should do.

I thought this group was Catholicism - feel free to ask. That is what I did.
Scott

Post by Scott »

I was brought up Catholic and my wife is Catholic, She is very involved in the Church. Anyway whether right or wrong my wife will maintain that Mary is sinless, had no other children and that She is not worshipped as God. My wife goes to rosary meetings at least once a week where they say prayers to Mary. To me praying is a form of worship. Been discussing this with Her off and on for over twenty years. It has never been resolved at least in my mind.
agricola

Post by agricola »

What I've been told concerning prayers 'to' Mary and various saints, is that it is just like asking your Aunt Sarah to pray for you: just because Mary and the saints happen to be dead, is no reason to think they aren't 'alive' in heaven, and fully able to pray for you there, just as they might have done while alive.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.