Ask about Catholicism

These ASK ABOUT topics are focused on INFORMATION about new paths, rather than on sharing our personal journey. Please keep it to one topic per new path. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their new path is wrong or why we disagree with them.
Scott

Re: Catholicism - feel free to ask

Post by Scott »

When I was a Child I went to Catechism every Saturday. I remember always wondering why there were graven images in both the Church and the school. Never had the guts to ask, was intimidated by the Nuns and Priests. Always thought they didn't like me.
agricola

Post by agricola »

I took a tour in Puerto Vallarta and it included the church there, which had numerous full size dioramas of the life of Jesus - painted in full color with lifesize statues in real life like settings - it seemed strange to me - sort of confusing: is this 'church' or a museum or what? On second thought, I realized it kind of WAS a 'museum' since the place was built when the population was mainly illiterate native people, so they could 'see' the story as well as hear it, since they didn't read.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
LeeLeeLoves

Post by LeeLeeLoves »

I'm glad to read all these positive comments on the Catholic Church. I plan to convert to Catholism once I move out of my parents home. It is something I've wanted for a while now.
HighLiter871

"Fundamentally" Smug

Post by HighLiter871 »

Catholic evangelist John Martignoni mixes it up (again) with another CoC'er in his most recent newsletter

http://www.biblechristiansociety.com/ne ... masses-277

I personally don't have much stomach for this kind of debate -- got awfully burned-out on it all those years ago, before I bolted from the CoC. But I realize that this is the "Tao" of a lot of folks -- esp. here in the Bible Belt. So go, John, go.

(For more of his encounters with our little sect, click on "Homepage", then "More Newsletters" and then search for "Church of Christ" or, better yet, "Campbellite".)
agricola

Post by agricola »

I think this board needs a 'like' button.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.