Ask About Eastern Orthodoxy...

These ASK ABOUT topics are focused on INFORMATION about new paths, rather than on sharing our personal journey. Please keep it to one topic per new path. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their new path is wrong or why we disagree with them.
Veronica

Re: Ask About Eastern Orthodoxy...

Post by Veronica »

B.H. wrote:In the middle picture where the baby is holding to the rim of the baptismal font and obviously not wanting to go under again.....I can see the priest lovingly and jokingly saying "Get in there you little heathen" :lol:

I
:D

I have seen a baby that refuses, it's pretty adorable. And I believe that I know priests that would utter that :lol:
agricola

Post by agricola »

Is it 'legal' if there's a diaper? Do EO have arguments about whether baptism has to be bare skin or can be clothed? what if clothed parts don't get wet? (channeling typical coc type topics here!)

So I think - I heard somewhere, and you mentioned it - that EO baptisms are 'three dunks' because they do 'Father, Son, Holy Spirit' separately; is that right?

Do the babies go through a confirmation ceremony when they are a little older? Like RC? Do they have Sunday school classes, or what?

Tell us more!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

agricola wrote:Is it 'legal' if there's a diaper? Do EO have arguments about whether baptism has to be bare skin or can be clothed? what if clothed parts don't get wet? (channeling typical coc type topics here!)

So I think - I heard somewhere, and you mentioned it - that EO baptisms are 'three dunks' because they do 'Father, Son, Holy Spirit' separately; is that right?

Do the babies go through a confirmation ceremony when they are a little older? Like RC? Do they have Sunday school classes, or what?

Tell us more!
I personally have never seen a diapered baptism, but I am certain that t would be legal by economia, or the understanding that not everything goes exactly the way it was set up 100% of the time. Economia is the part that is forgiven because we are mere humans. :) It's not so legalistic

Yep 3 dunks for the Trinity

Quite a few parishes have Sunday School. We are at a parish now that does, our previous one didn't. It works as a sort of catechism. Sirflea teaches the upper elementary kids, these are kids who in the class before this prepare for and do their first confession. He goes through the entire Gospel with them. The design of our Church School is that they should have the basics covered by the time they get to the Jr. High/High School class where they dive into issues.
They do a lot of preparation for first confession, and the idea is that there really isn't anything to confess before that time, even the first confessions are adorable. We have readers who chant on the other side of the room during confession to block everyone else overhearing, but it's hilarious when you get the 7 year old kid who gets loud because he hit his brother and his brother had it coming (I overheard this one night and had to keep from laughing). Our priest is great with counsel ad advice. He calmly and quietly got the boy to move back to whispers and offered his counsel and then absolution. I didn't have to hear it to know that our priest probably said something like "I have a brother and I get it, but how would it be if everyone went around hitting everybody all the time?" I never asked because it wasn't my business, he never recalls confessions anyway...I've gone back to him after my own to let him know that his advice was sound and worked and he was like "I told you to do that?"
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I have been wondering if Orthodox Christians pray to Mary and the other Saints. If yes, do they use the same "Hail Mary" prayer that Catholics use?

Nice to see you back on the board, even though I have been keeping up with you on Facebook.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

Moogy wrote:I have been wondering if Orthodox Christians pray to Mary and the other Saints. If yes, do they use the same "Hail Mary" prayer that Catholics use?

Nice to see you back on the board, even though I have been keeping up with you on Facebook.
You won't hear "Hail Mary" very often, but it is said occasionally. It's mincing of words, I know, but we don't pray "to" them per se, as much as ask them to pray for us. In my honest opinion it's not much different than asking your friends to pray for you. The exception and thought being that the saints and Mary are that much closer to the reward and Christ. It never hurts to have more people praying in my opinion. :)

In the case in our family, my husband has formed a real bond with his patron Saint, St. Christopher, the same for me and mine, St. Veronica. I will request the prayers of St. Veronica and my dearly departed, saint of a woman, coC grandmother (I KNOW she's gone on to her reward, I can elaborate on that some other time). I don't really ask anything of anyone else outside of liturgy.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

At what point were you able to overcome the bible alone for all authority and be able to also accept Holy Tradition? Our background was firmly planted in sola scriptura and that is difficult for my wife to work out. She appreciates the history and the ancient nature of the liturgy but is conflicted, in my estimation, about not seeing book, chapter and verse. I think she is close, but of course family will be the biggest hurdle, because Orthodoxy is Roman Catholicism in their minds.