Almost there

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
katisha

Almost there

Post by katisha »

Moving slowly but surely towards Buddhism. Looking like my best path.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
Cootie Brown

Re: Almost there

Post by Cootie Brown »

I've encountered a number of Buddhist on another site where I'm active. They seem happy with their choice. I wish you well on your new journey.
Last edited by Cootie Brown on Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Good for you, Katisha!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

katisha wrote:Moving slowly but surely towards Buddhism. Looking like my best path.
Are there other Buddhists in your area? I don't think a community is needed to practice Buddhism, but it probably would be helpful.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
katisha

Post by katisha »

Moogy wrote:
katisha wrote:Moving slowly but surely towards Buddhism. Looking like my best path.
Are there other Buddhists in your area? I don't think a community is needed to practice Buddhism, but it probably would be helpful.
There are several Buddhist temples in my area, and my neighbor across the street is Buddhist. But I have been doing a lot of studying on my own. Soon I will be needing someone to guide me. I just have to make sure I pick the right spiritual guide for myself.

When my son's wife was dying, it was a Buddhist chaplain who helped him the most with counseling in the ICU. That is what made me start looking. But it has taken me a great deal of time and much soul searching to make sure this was the way I wanted to go.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
agricola

Post by agricola »

Theistic or non-theistic? There are versions of Buddhism that don't involve any particular 'god', and others will a very diverse set of divine personages involved.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
katisha

Post by katisha »

agricola wrote:Theistic or non-theistic? There are versions of Buddhism that don't involve any particular 'god', and others will a very diverse set of divine personages involved.
At this point in time, theistic. But I can see where it may lead me away from that. I wasn't raised with an "active" god in my life. I didn't really start accepting that there may be a God until after I "was added" to the CofC. So it isn't too far of a stretch for me to move in the other direction. Not sure if I will reach complete atheism, but the idea of the cosmos being in charge, and karma sticking it's hand in every now and then does not turn me off.

Still a lot more studying to do.