Recommended blogs or posts on faith

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Recommended blogs or posts on faith

Post by agricola »

When I find an interesting essay or blog, I'll post a link here -
and other people can do the same, okay? Remember to disable the direct link: you can copy/paste into your browser.

First up: Emma Higgs 'Faith in the Fog'

h**ps://emmahiggs.com/faith-in-the-fog-series/
Contrary to well-meaning advice from many a concerned Christian, reading the Bible is not a good cure for skepticism. In my experience, it usually magnifies it. The Bible is messy. It’s confusing and contradictory and just plain weird in some places. For a skeptic like me, every passage raises new questions and doubts, and shines a floodlight on any that were already lurking in the shadows. For a while I actually refused to read the Bible at all, for fear that my faith might not make it out alive.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
ena

Re: Recommended blogs or posts on faith

Post by ena »

agricola wrote:When I find an interesting essay or blog, I'll post a link here -
and other people can do the same, okay? Remember to disable the direct link: you can copy/paste into your browser.

First up: Emma Higgs 'Faith in the Fog'

h**ps://emmahiggs.com/faith-in-the-fog-series/
Contrary to well-meaning advice from many a concerned Christian, reading the Bible is not a good cure for skepticism. In my experience, it usually magnifies it. The Bible is messy. It’s confusing and contradictory and just plain weird in some places. For a skeptic like me, every passage raises new questions and doubts, and shines a floodlight on any that were already lurking in the shadows. For a while I actually refused to read the Bible at all, for fear that my faith might not make it out alive.
Faith is a fog because your imagination is your spirit guide. People confuse spirit with imagination. They are not the same thing. When reading the bible read the whole book. Older texts do not have chapter and verse. Christian indexing is used for argumentation and hyper linking. An incomplete reading causes misunderstanding. What is the author taking about? Specifics do vary. A perfect example is in 1 Cor 11:20 and on. The subject is the debauching of the Lord's Supper with eating and drinking to the max while the poor could not partake. Basically don't mix the Lord's Supper with a meal. Not no kitchens in the Church. Leave it to the CoC to go to extremes.