Early Christians versus Modern (US) Christians

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Early Christians versus Modern (US) Christians

Post by agricola »

I thought this was pretty interesting - it is a comparison (by one guy, admittedly) between what the first century Christians believed, behaved and taught versus what is 'fairly typical' of a particular sort of US Christian (aka fundamentalists such as coc) belief, behavior and teachings -

enjoy:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/formerlyfu ... NjM5NzY4S0

holding all things in common?
totally pacifists?
sharing everything?
despising 'the world'?
ignoring 'worldly powers'?
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
ena

Re: Early Christians versus Modern (US) Christians

Post by ena »

Enjoyed the link. The funny thing is that many CoCers think they are worshiping in the pattern of the 1st century when it is basically impossible to do so. The socio-political and economic structure has changed. Things like refrigeration and pasteurization have made major changes. The list goes on and on. Do pay attention to the comments section. The Jews have changed also. Thanks!
agricola

Post by agricola »

Yes indeed! What makes me wonder about now, at this point in my life, is why on EARTH the coc (and certain other groups) think they are SUPPOSED to be 'exactly like' the first century church? Don't things grow? Don't things change when they grow? Isn't 'the church' SUPPOSED to grow?
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

You know, that's a good point. One of the bedrock premises of the Church of Christ denomination is the idea that we must meet for "worship" (a concept not actually found in scripture) in exactly the same way the Christians of the First Century did. Why? What possible "authorization" (to turn their own annoying word back onto them) for such a position is there? It seems to me that the entire basis for the Church of Christ denomination's obsession on the form of worship is laughable.

Jesus appeared and spoke at synagogues (i.e., "houses of prayer"). Where in scripture (in the law of Moses or anywhere in the Old Testament) is there an "authorization" for a synagogue? Weren't synagogues an innovation developed to meet changing conditions and times? If Jesus, who supposedly was perfect in every way, didn't feel bound to "worship" only in a way "authorized" by scripture, why should modern Christians be bound to do so?

All of this aside from the obvious fact that the entire "five acts of worship" espoused by the CofC denomination is a convoluted amalgamation of verses jerked out of context and more often than not wrongly and even dishonestly interpreted.
agricola

Post by agricola »

A mishmash all right - but 'just like the first century church' goal is something shared by most (or all) 'restorationist' denominations, not just coc, but christian church and disciples of Christ and even, I think, certain Baptists. It's just pretty interesting that each group picks something DIFFERENT to imitate in order to be 'just like' the church in the first century!
agricola

Post by agricola »

Oh - and 'synagogue' isn't 'house of prayer', it is 'assembly'. It's more like - oh, like the VFW hall or something. In Yiddish a synagogue is called 'shul' (school) which is fair, and in Hebrew one is a beit knesset (house of assembly) just like THE Knesset, which is the Israeli equivalent of Congress.

People do PRAY there, but the prime raison d'etre of a synagogue is to teach Judaism. The congregational leader is rabbi, which is 'my teacher', and prayer services are just a part of what goes on in a synagogue. Medieval synagogues also served as overnight hostels for Jewish visitors (of COURSE a synagogue has a kitchen!).

Interestingly (I think so at least) when Jews enter a new place, the first thing they are supposed to build as a community is a mivkah (ritual bath) and the second thing is a school (for children). Places to get together for group prayer aren't a top priority.
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

Well, agricola, you are sort of right in one respect, I guess. But mostly not. From Wikipedia:

"A synagogue, also spelled synagog (from Greek συναγωγή, transliterated synagogē, meaning "assembly"; בית כנסת beth knesset, meaning "house of assembly"; בית תפילה beth t'fila, meaning "house of prayer"; שול shul; אסנוגה esnoga; קהל kahal), is a Jewish house of prayer.

"Synagogues have a large hall for prayer (the main sanctuary), and may also have smaller rooms for study and sometimes a social hall and offices. Some have a separate room for Torah study, called the beth midrash (Sefaradi) "beis midrash (Ashkenazi)—בית מדרש ("House of Study").

"Synagogues are consecrated spaces that can be used only for the purpose of prayer; however a synagogue is not necessary for worship. Communal Jewish worship can be carried out wherever ten Jews (a minyan) assemble. Worship can also be carried out alone or with fewer than ten people assembled together. However there are certain prayers that are communal prayers and therefore can be recited only by a minyan. The synagogue does not replace the long-since destroyed Temple in Jerusalem."

But that is all tangential to my post. What is the basis for thinking "worship" should be conducted as it was 2000 years ago? Why? What is the basis for such a contention?
agricola

Post by agricola »

Beats me -

but seriously, Jews don't do 'consecration'. Synagogues do have a sanctuary where prayer services take place, but the place itself isn't 'holy'. There are holy things IN it - like Torah scrolls and prayer books, but there isn't anything 'consecrated' about the space itself.

That's my big girl, at her bat mitzvah.

KLP

Post by KLP »

Yes Growth and change are normal and expected. However the OT Jews and the NT Christians were constantly hit with the problem of apostasy due to the wrong kind of growth and change. The Jews got shipped off and that led to the synagogue system. The Christians are warned even up to the close of the NT about adding to and apostasy. Change was expected and warned against over and over. There is this notion that God does not change and that it is not within Man to lead since spiritual truths come by revelation. So there is a basis for not just drifting off due to cultural changes...probability/possibility of apostasy was not just dreamed up in the 1800's by restoration minded groups.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

Yet this "unchanging" God of the New Testament doesn't even marginally resemble the God described in the Old Testament.