Muslim Converts

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
50heaven

Muslim Converts

Post by 50heaven »

If there are any Muslims here, I'd really enjoy reading your conversion story if you're comfortable sharing.
Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves...... and goodness and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.
- The Kingdom of Heaven
agricola

Re: Muslim Converts

Post by agricola »

Well darn I hit reply. Didn't actually mean to.

I'm not a Muslim convert but we have had some here previously, and we still have one around. You will find we are a mixed bag, actually! Have you considered a class, either in Islam or in Religion (Comparitive, History of, something)? There's a lot you can do online also (besides here!)
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
50heaven

Post by 50heaven »

I've actually taken a world religions class before and know a fair amount about other faiths. I want to hear what an actual member of a particular faith has to say about what led them there and not just see facts and statistics in a book.
Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves...... and goodness and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.
- The Kingdom of Heaven
agricola

Post by agricola »

Our current resident Muslim is probably not browsing New Paths - want me to ask him? He's not typical, I don't believe.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
50heaven

Post by 50heaven »

Sure. Thanks.
- The Kingdom of Heaven
KLP

Post by KLP »

How does one decide which branch or sect or type of Islam to join? Is it like someone stumbling into a sofCofC and not knowing there are various types of CofC or which one they are joining until later? How long does it take before one typically is convinced their branch of their religion is the one true branch and that the others must be avoided and resisted at every turn?
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Good question - Islam doesn't seem to have 'denominations' in the sense of signs out front, but there are certainly deep divisions within the faith as a whole - the biggest is between Shiite and Sunni - a very early 'split' soon after the Prophet's death, and those two groups have fought each other probably at least as much, if not more, than either has fought 'unbelievers'.
KLP

Post by KLP »

And within those two major divisions there are yet more divisions.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

50heaven wrote:If there are any Muslims here, I'd really enjoy reading your conversion story if you're comfortable sharing.

Hello,

After leaving the Church of Christ I spent several years in atheist circles and was a proponent of their position for several years.

I majored in History and even went on to do some grad level work in the subject. When September 11 hit I decided I was going to buy a few copies of different translations of the Quran to find out what was true and false about Islam. You were hearing so much on the news and I knew from my history studies the media and government lied about the Communists a lot so I figured they would lie about the Muslims too. Several years later I picked up one of the Quran copies again and decided to reread it. I came across the story where Abraham asked Allah to assure him of his promises. Allah told him to place four dead birds in four different locations and then go back home. Once home Abraham was to call the birds. He did and the four birds came back to him alive. This story made me think "Why not, I'll try it too just to see". In complete sincerity and honesty I said a litte prayer and asked Allah to do two things for me if he did not mind. I asked that he heal this gash on my finger I got pumping gas and I asked him to do something else which I wish to keep private. I turned out the light and went to bed and not within 5 minutes I wonderful feeling came upon my finger. It was like it had fallen asleep and you know how you get those prickly feelings when you hand or foot goes to sleep? Well anyway, it was like this but it was a good feeling, not uncomfortable in anyway like the typical pricklies. I got up and turned on the lights and the finger was completely healed. I also got my other request too.

I spent about 25 years in the Church of Christ. The first half was in the non-sunday school group. The least 15 or so I was in the mainline. I used to visit a non-institutional and one cup church a lot though never a formal member.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

klp wrote:How does one decide which branch or sect or type of Islam to join? Is it like someone stumbling into a sofCofC and not knowing there are various types of CofC or which one they are joining until later? How long does it take before one typically is convinced their branch of their religion is the one true branch and that the others must be avoided and resisted at every turn?

Most of the divisions in Islam are political. The Shia/Sunni split goes back to the time of Caliph Ali and surrounding controversies about who had a right to succeed him. The Shia have gone on to split many times into different groups all arguing over who is to be considered imam over the faithful. Some Shia believe there are 3, some 9, and I think others 12 infallible imams of the faith sent to guide Islam until judgement day. I am not Shia so do not really know for sure.

Most Muslims accept a collection of supposed sayings of Prophet Muhammed not found in the Quran as authoritative but not necessarily infallible like the Quran. These collections of saying are called hadith and have been used for most of Muslims history in anything and everything from jurisprudence to self help. There are a few Muslims who are skeptical of hadith. I am one of them, but not dogmatic about it. If there is something in hadith a fellow Muslims feels he needs to follow, and it does not contradict Holy Quran, then knock himself out and do it.

KLP, the Quran states Allah gives grace to people who are in honest ignorance. While doctrinal purity and belief there is a "true" interpretation of Quran is emphasized it is also understood we are all pilgrims in this life living, learning, and growing so it is best to be patient and kind to one another.

Also, most Muslims believe you should not worship Allah with instruments.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx