Explaining Islam_new topic

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Explaining Islam_new topic

Post by agricola »

Oh yeah - I always enjoyed listening to my geotech staff fly through their discussions in Spanish (they were Mexican, Peruvian, Columbian, Chilean, and half a dozen other countries - all with their own 'take' on Spanish) and it was SO amazing when a plain English word popped out, because it just sounded SO WRONG in the middle of Spanish!

A common one was 'hard hat'.

There is nothing you can do to 'hard hat' to make it sound Spanish even a little bit.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
ena

Post by ena »

I know a little old lady from Chile. She is cute and talks in Spanish and English with fellow Mexicans. I used to like to get her for buying burgers. Because I wear suspenders, she gave me a senior discount before I was 65. I am losing weight and I need suspenders to hold up my pants. My belly is big but my butt is not. My belt needs an extra hole. I went from a 42" to 38" waist. I've got about 60 lbs to go. At 36" is my slender goal. It is nearly impossible to loose weight while taking insulin. Jason Fung MD says I can make anyone fat. Just prescribe Insulin. :lol: Spanish is a neat language. At least spelling is consistent with phonics for Spanish. English is derived from several languages. We have some Latin, German. French and Greek. For this reason our language is not truly phonetic. fon-net-ic. There are things you have to memorize. I remember learning to say aluminum. I started by saying aleu-madam until I got it. Of course you have the British aloo-min-ium. No wonder kids have trouble learning how to read. :lol:

El sombrero duro
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

The national language of the Philippines is Tagalog. Everyone there, however, speaks "Taglish" like my wife. It's amazing to listen to a hybrid English conversation, you think you can almost follow what they're saying, but you can't.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

The only expert on Islam we have here is BH. Jackie left us long ago. I hope she is well and happy.

Hard hat...I googled it: casco de seguridad
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Ivy wrote:The only expert on Islam we have here is BH. Jackie left us long ago. I hope she is well and happy.

Three words, seven syllables, versus 2 words, 2 syllables: English won out on that one.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote:
Ivy wrote:The only expert on Islam we have here is BH. Jackie left us long ago. I hope she is well and happy.

Three words, seven syllables, versus 2 words, 2 syllables: English won out on that one.
Apparently so!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~