Not going to cuss

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Not going to cuss

Post by B.H. »

I'm going to try to go a few weeks without using cuss words on the discussion boards I'm on. I need to feel I live more righteous and holy.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Re: Not going to cuss

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:53 am I'm going to try to go a few weeks without using cuss words on the discussion boards I'm on. I need to feel I live more righteous and holy.
People who cuss are more intelligent.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Looks like there's a line, BH, based on context. I guess it can actually be helpful or cathartic after a physical or emotional injury, but becomes harmful when used abusively or to harass because it becomes a substitute for physical aggession. So, don't be TOO damn hard on yourself.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/cutting-edge-leadership/201205/will-swearing-harm-your-child
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/dont-watch-your-mouth-swearing-can-actually-be-good-for-your-health
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:22 pm
B.H. wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:53 am I'm going to try to go a few weeks without using cuss words on the discussion boards I'm on. I need to feel I live more righteous and holy.
People who cuss are more intelligent.
Yes, and as you know I'm one of the smartest people on the internets.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

SolaDude wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:39 pm Looks like there's a line, BH, based on context. I guess it can actually be helpful or cathartic after a physical or emotional injury, but becomes harmful when used abusively or to harass because it becomes a substitute for physical aggession. So, don't be TOO damn hard on yourself.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/cutting-edge-leadership/201205/will-swearing-harm-your-child
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/dont-watch-your-mouth-swearing-can-actually-be-good-for-your-health
Dont worry I'll still cuss plenty when by myself.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Good luck, BH - and for what it may be worth - the Biblical basis for 'don't curse' comes from a time when words had reality and weight, and a blessing was 'real' and so was a 'curse'.

Cursing isn't/wasn't 'using bad words'. Cursing was sincerely, and positively speaking an 'ill wish' on someone - invoking the real power to cause destruction, death or disaster on another.

This is why, when Jacob deceived his father Isaac, and got the blessing meant for Esau, his father could not - LITERALLY could not - give the blessing over again for Esau, even though it had been intended for him. Instead, Isaac had to cobble together a DIFFERENT blessing, because the original one had already been delivered to Jacob.

Blessings weren't 'good thought' either. They were REAL CONCRETE things - and you couldn't just repeat one to someone else.

From a culture where words are literally THINGS (the word for 'word' in Hebrew is the same word as the word for 'thing'), words are TRULY meaningful and never, ever, ever lightweight.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Agricola,

I knew all of that. BUT......because your heart was in the right place I'm going to call you down a blessing.

Ready...

Set....

Go .

Agricola, may you be blessed on these ex church of. Christ boards by me that I give you no headaches for at least a season.

There.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

What about me, BH? Sister Ivy wants a blessing.

I try not to cuss very much, as I think it is usually not necessary. I never cussed at all until junior high, when I fell in with a rough crowd of little junior high girls. They made fun of me for not cussing, and taught me to say the "s" word among others. They also taught me some other bad behaviors, like wearing short shorts, and dancing to music like the Monkees. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a slippery slope from there.

All of that said, I do think words carry weight. For example, I try to avoid negative speaking about important issues, to avoid putting those ideas out into the Universe. The spoken word can manifest into reality, so be careful with it.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Thank you BH. I did you the honor of assuming that many other people would read anything you wrote, and therefore would see my post, too, and maybe learn something from it.

Also thank you for the blessing. We can all use those.

May you be at peace in all your going out and returning home, at peace at home and away.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:47 am What about me, BH? Sister Ivy wants a blessing.

I try not to cuss very much, as I think it is usually not necessary. I never cussed at all until junior high, when I fell in with a rough crowd of little junior high girls. They made fun of me for not cussing, and taught me to say the "s" word among others. They also taught me some other bad behaviors, like wearing short shorts, and dancing to music like the Monkees. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a slippery slope from there.

All of that said, I do think words carry weight. For example, I try to avoid negative speaking about important issues, to avoid putting those ideas out into the Universe. The spoken word can manifest into reality, so be careful with it.
BH says " Ivy, I bless you by being your friend and not doing anything to make you yell at me".