Question for former Christian's but now other religion

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
SolaDude

Re: Question for former Christian's but now other religion

Post by SolaDude »

FinallyFree wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:15 pm I don’t think I was ever in a CofC that prayed to or worshipped Jesus. My current church does not do that.
As far as regretting past actions, I do that all the time and beat myself up. I was truly an idiot in my younger years. But, I am so much older and wiser now.
The CofC I grew up in had an utterly complex, undecipherable concept of prayer. I think it was based on asking God "according to his word". So, that kept getting extended into more and more bizarre notions, so much so that really, the prayer was being made to the Bible itself, your prayer had to be in "Bible language". And the exact answer to your prayer would be found in that same written Bible, you know, "all the answers" are in there, if you can't find them there's something wrong with you or your faith. It was to me sort of like worshipping the Bible itself and writing God out of it.

There of course was no notion whatsoever of worshipping the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit they believed had been replaced by the New Testament.

So sorry that for so many centuries the illiterate could not pray to God.