Question for former Christian's but now other religion

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Question for former Christian's but now other religion

Post by B.H. »

Warning. Everyone isxwelcome to read and post but I might be offensive in what I write. I dont mean to it's just the nature of my question.

I will never, ever go to church for a worship service ever again. I'm embarrassed that at one time I actually worshipped a man, Jesus. Looking back even though it was done in ignorance and how I had been brought up I am embarrassed and made sick when I think about it.

Did other people feel like this too at times? I know its forgiven by God ( Allah) but I still feel stupid knowing I had done it.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
zeek

Re: Question for former Christian's but now other religion

Post by zeek »

Yes, I've had the thought sometimes that the focus of the worship was misplaced. My understanding of the Bible is that we are to worship Almighty God the supreme ruler of the universe, the one that even Jesus and the Holy Spirit obey. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I've heard lots of people pray to Jesus and I know without doubt that is unbiblical. The Bible clearly teaches that as believers we have access to God The Father through our mediator Jesus.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I agree with zeek. As I recall it from years ago, we were taught in cofc to worship God thru Jesus, but not to worship Jesus. BH, if you were worshipping Jesus, you were misunderstanding the cofc teachings. Or your church was misunderstanding them.

I am sorry you feel embarrassed; I hope you will forgive yourself. You were doing what you felt was right at that time.

The Muslims I know have a lot of respect for Jesus. In fact, one of the women I know got her minister's license so she could perform the marriage ceremony for my son and DIL. She had to choose a religion for the license, and only Christian or Jewish were available. She chose Christian rather than Jewish, because she liked Jesus and she didn't want to be Jewish. LOL!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

BH, I think it's just a matter of perspective. Some believe he was God incarnate, others believe he was just human or just another prophet. So, from the "just human" perspective, yes, it would be inappropriate to worship him. However, as to the Christian perspective, there are a number of references in the gospels to people worshipping him, without Jesus rebuking them, and other scriptural references to him as God and Saviour. But to each his own, as they say.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Well, the Church of Christ is an embarrassment full of doctrinal silliness.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

I think perhaps there is a process - in which a person processes their past beliefs and actions, and integrates past into present - ideally, successfully! and continues in a healthier fashion -

Which means, basically - whatever you used to believe, or used to do, which now you would not believe or would not do - forgive yourself.

It is far too easy to circle back and back and back again, full of regrets and guilt and wishful thinking and 'if only' and 'I should have' - and never grow, never live properly in the present time, and basically sabotage your future at the altar of past sins.

good heavens. I should keep that and write it down somewhere.

Forgive your past self, for not knowing the same things your present self knows, and for doing and believing things your present self finds odd, strange, unpleasant or downright evil.

You were not THEN what and who you are NOW - and since you would almost certainly forgive any random stranger for being stupid in their past, then forgive yourself for it, also.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I forgive myself then😁
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:01 am I forgive myself then😁
You should!! You're walking in whatever light you sincerely see before you. What else can a human being do?
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:41 am I think perhaps there is a process - in which a person processes their past beliefs and actions, and integrates past into present - ideally, successfully! and continues in a healthier fashion -

Which means, basically - whatever you used to believe, or used to do, which now you would not believe or would not do - forgive yourself.

It is far too easy to circle back and back and back again, full of regrets and guilt and wishful thinking and 'if only' and 'I should have' - and never grow, never live properly in the present time, and basically sabotage your future at the altar of past sins.

good heavens. I should keep that and write it down somewhere.

Forgive your past self, for not knowing the same things your present self knows, and for doing and believing things your present self finds odd, strange, unpleasant or downright evil.

You were not THEN what and who you are NOW - and since you would almost certainly forgive any random stranger for being stupid in their past, then forgive yourself for it, also.
Nice, Agri. Yes, you should save that.
It is far too easy to circle back and back and back again, full of regrets and guilt and wishful thinking and 'if only' and 'I should have' - and never grow, never live properly in the present time, and basically sabotage your future at the altar of past sins. -- Agri
That reminds me of when I was in cofc and would start to think I wasn't baptized correctly, or with the right frame of mind, when I was baptized the first time, or the second time, or whichever time. And so the endless OCD circle would ensue. How sad. I think I'm largely healed from my cofc indoctrination, but my therapist said no, you're not. LOL!!
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I don’t think I was ever in a CofC that prayed to or worshipped Jesus. My current church does not do that.
As far as regretting past actions, I do that all the time and beat myself up. I was truly an idiot in my younger years. But, I am so much older and wiser now.