Reincarnation & Past Lives

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
illuminator

Reincarnation & Past Lives

Post by illuminator »

If anyone's interested, I'd really like to have a discussion.

All my life I have had dreams of ... well, another life. As I age, I age in the dreams. It began with a town. I can draw a map of this town although I've never been there. In my early dreams it was a setting of late 30s thru early 40s. In my waking life, I've always had a nostalgia for this era and I seemed very comfortable with its arts. Now in my dreams, same place, more modern, seems to be late 50s to early 60s. Since I was born in the late 60s, I wonder what I'm approaching in both my waking and dreaming lives.

It's just weird as I myself am not in the dreams; Illuminator isn't present. I'm viewing though someone else's eyes. None of my friends and family are present. Like I said, as the two seem headed to intersect, I'm curious.

Anyone with any comments?
GMan

Re: Reincarnation & Past Lives

Post by GMan »

I do understand. I too dream about and actually see myself in Spain right as Franco is taking power. I get to meet such people as Lorca, and a very young Savidore Dali.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
agricola

Post by agricola »

No such experience - my dreams are mostly mundane enough (though nonsensical), and I rarely remember them long.

It just amazes me how many people used to be Napoleon and Cleopatra. Nobody ever thinks they were Napoleon's bootboy or Cleopatra's camel holder.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I don't believe in reincarnation or past lives, in the traditional sense. But, since all the constituent parts of our physical bodies have once been in other forms, there could conceivably be some kind of inherited memories. I'm skeptical though.
That said, as long as I can remember, I've been able to speak and understand French in my dreams. I can't in real life. My grandparents were French Canadian, which may have had an influence on my Psyche. Who knows?
Scott

Post by Scott »

agricola wrote: It just amazes me how many people used to be Napoleon and Cleopatra. Nobody ever thinks they were Napoleon's bootboy or Cleopatra's camel holder.
This makes me laugh since it's so true. Didn't General Patton think he was reincarnated from some other famous warrior? Of course it couldn't be some wimp. My Mom was into reincarnation, but She said it runs and stays within families and friends. My older Sister died when I was 18, She was a hippie, went to Woodstock etc and pretty much didn't listen to anyone. My mom "predicted" that She would come back as a son to me. Scary thing is my younger son does kind of remind me of her. But it's probably because I am still a little scared of my Mom's predictions. She died a few years ago but made threats to me that She would haunt me by turning lights off and on etc. Whenever we have a power problem my kids are always saying it must be Grandma.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

agricola wrote:It just amazes me how many people used to be Napoleon and Cleopatra. Nobody ever thinks they were Napoleon's bootboy or Cleopatra's camel holder.
I don't know who I am ... or where I'm at but seems to be late 50s/early 60s in my dreams. Do I die soon? :shock: It's just odd. And lately when I do have these dreams, it's night!
charmschooldropout

Post by charmschooldropout »

I've always had an affinity for Renaissance times. I was probably a serf. :lol:
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

agricola wrote:No such experience - my dreams are mostly mundane enough (though nonsensical), and I rarely remember them long.

It just amazes me how many people used to be Napoleon and Cleopatra. Nobody ever thinks they were Napoleon's bootboy or Cleopatra's camel holder.
There have been dozens of people to publicly claim they were Marilyn Monroe in a previous life.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I was probably the bastard son of a prostitute who lived in Mideaval Poland in the 14th century.

I was also probably a low level Soviet bureaucrat in another previous life. I was probably the guy who went to Stalin, picked up his execute or not execute authorizations, and then took then over to Col Blokin at KGB headquarters.

And in another life I was probably a rattlesnake that got run over by one of the wagons in the Oregon Trail days.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Well, all the joking aside, I think there is some fact to reincarnation. I think its possible to have the consciousness, or be in tune to the consciousness, of a person who lived in a previous life. I think our own consciousness can live on after death. I don't think the person's soul literally jumps into someone else's body.