For Agnostics/Atheists Only - Share your journey

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

I appreciate what you guys are sharing.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

chrisso99 wrote:It's not elitist to think believers are not as smart and educated as atheists and agnostics. Lots of research has shown strong correlations between IQ (brain power) and less religious belief as well as education and less religious belief.
My father was one of those anti-education preachers, perhaps because he himself only had a high school education. He did manage to get his Associates when I was in junior high. The examples that were held up before me were people like Marshall Keeble, whom my father enjoyed mostly because of the way he could spin colloquial catchphrases and the fact that he too bemoaned people who "went to college and got their brains expanded." Education was quite often seen as a sure way to apostasy.

And they're not entirely wrong about that. I meet very few atheists who aren't well educated and the majority I speak to are well schooled in theology. Many went to seminaries and hold advanced degrees in divinity. Oddly enough, it seems that once people actually dive in and study that precious Bible and its languages and history, they start dropping like flies!

But I'm sure that's because the wisdom of man is foolishness in the eyes of God, they've believed a powerful delusion, or because they're just fools who say in their heart that there is no God. Pick and choose whichever self-inoculation the Bible offers.
agricola

Post by agricola »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/7729/does-mo ... gious.aspx

http://tobingrant.religionnews.com/2015 ... one-graph/

skating a thin line posting - sorry GH - graph supporting (kinda) chrisso's post. I'm gone now.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

agricola wrote:http://www.gallup.com/poll/7729/does-mo ... gious.aspx

http://tobingrant.religionnews.com/2015 ... one-graph/

skating a thin line posting - sorry GH - graph supporting (kinda) chrisso's post. I'm gone now.
Judaism counts as a believer.
agricola

Re: For Agnostics/Atheists Only - Share your journey

Post by agricola »

Judaism is more than 'a religion' and 'belief' is only one part of it. Anyway, I did apologize. I thought you meant 'believer' in the sense of assent to supernatural assertions, i.e., God, miracles, etc. I am certainly a Jew, but I have never actually put forth my specific 'belief' on the board as far as I remember. But for the record, I would probably be classed as weak believer/strong agnostic.

Most days. Some days the agnostic takes over pretty thoroughly. I am quite sympathetic and in agreement with most posts in this thread. Chrisso mentioned studies, and I knew of some links to the supporting graphs. You can thank me later.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
chrisso99

Post by chrisso99 »

Thanks.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

So I guess, at this point, this is our only tiny little space on this whole message board? I'm not sure anyone wants New Paths filled up with a bunch of atheist topics... So um... yeah...
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

This is it, GH. Dissent has been quashed and posts have been edited and deleted. Even on this thread.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Well excuse me in advance this time.

New Paths is open to everybody, but it is not a place for discussion or debate. It is where people go and say 'oh, now I'm a Scientologist and I just love it!' and everybody else says 'how wonderful for you!'

so if you want to post there, go ahead, but it isn't a place for debate, or discussion (although people may ask questions ABOUT atheism/agnosticism and those can be answered) - it is definitely not the place to advocate for your New Path and not a place of proselytization (did I spell that right?) People say they are JW's and we say 'how nice' and 'do you enjoy knocking on doors' or they say they are Southern Baptists and we can ask if they ever met Jimmy Carter. Or they share that they enjoyed communion and we ask what the RC church teaches about the Real Presence.

Vanilla.

Lots of support and a little basic education, that's all.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

I moved this thread to New Paths (where it is now) so that only those who are in agreement -- sharing their journey of agnostism/atheism -- can post here. Notice I added "trust in science" as a new path, so you can talk about science here also.