Survey: How old were you when you left the COC?

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.

How old were you when you left the COC?

Before age 20
10%
20-29
34%
30-39
21%
40-49
16%
50-59
11%
60-69
2%
70 or older
2%
N/A, I am still in the COC.
3%

Total votes: 61

Moogy

Survey: How old were you when you left the COC?

Post by Moogy »

This question came up in another thread, and some of us expressed interest in knowing the most common ages of departure. If you left more than once, tell us about the most recent time. Comments are welcome.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Re: Survey: How old were you when you left the COC?

Post by Ivy »

i don't think I can pick just one. Leaving was such a long, drawn out process for me.

Moogy, I think I started to leave emotionally when I was in my early teens, and was finally
emotionally out in my late fifties.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

I never actually subscribed to a lot of COC doctrine, but i did not stop attending the Sunday morning service until I was 52 (2013).
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

86 views but only 18 responses? Please reply to the question, friends, if you can. :mrgreen:
Moogy
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I think perhaps I am naturally rebellious. And one reflection of that may be that I almost always refuse to raise my hand when the speaker says "how many of you did blah blah...raise your hands". Oh and a performer telling audience to clap along or have the audience sings is right out. Perhaps I am just contrary.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agricola

Post by agricola »

It also counts 'views' when someone visits more than one time, so it isn't like there have been 86 UNIQUE views. I know I've stopped in at least three times after voting.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

zeek wrote:
klp wrote:I think perhaps I am naturally rebellious. And one reflection of that may be that I almost always refuse to raise my hand when the speaker says "how many of you did blah blah...raise your hands". Oh and a performer telling audience to clap along or have the audience sings is right out. Perhaps I am just contrary.
"Obstinate" is the word for the day.

Yes, this is another plausable explanation for the discrepency between views and participants. Probably it is some combination of the two.
I forgot, "Obstinate", yes that was a term I heard bantered about while on the membership role of the CofC.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I was just thinking about some of my relatives and how they left the COC without really making a decision to leave.

My dad moved in with me when he was about 90. Before that, he had attended faithfully since "marrying into" the COC. (He even sought out churches when working as a long-distance trucker). The nearby little town has only a mainline COC. Papa attended there once. He drove into the bigger town (about a hour away) to the nearest NICOC once or twice. Otherwise, he just skipped. So he never really quit, but he stopped attending at age 90.

My in-laws also used the "moving out of town" method of dropping out. They moved and just never bothered finding a new church. This was in their late 40s/early 50s.

I suspect many people have drifted away like this. None had living parents to guilt them into returning, and my dad no longer had my mom to insist that they had to go.
Moogy