How about Deism as an alternative to Christianity

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Cootie Brown

How about Deism as an alternative to Christianity

Post by Cootie Brown »

Deism

The belief that God has created the universe but remains apart from it and permits his creation to administer itself through natural laws. Deism thus rejects the supernatural aspects of religion, such as belief in revelation in the Bible, and stresses the importance of ethical conduct.

After leaving Christianity I adapted Deism as an alternative. Many of the founding fathers of the United States were Deist. Thomas Jefferson being one noteworthy example. Deism interest me because it rejects supernaturalism and revelations but acknowledges a creator God.

Deism has few specific doctrines beyond rejecting supernaturalism and prophetic revelations. And that appeals to me. Basically, God made us, God exists but doesn't intervene in human affairs. So, in this case, God didn't predestine the Denver Broncos to win the Super Bowl, or help you find your lost car keys, cause God apparently doesn't think that's part of God's job description.

And apparently heaven and hell aren't part of God's plan either. Maybe when we die we just become part of the universe (God).

Anyone else ever consider Deism or have any interest in it?
GMan

Re: How about Deism as an alternative to Christianity

Post by GMan »

I like it, not a follower per se. If it was good enough for Thomas Jefferson. Many do not know exactly what Deism is, but how you described it is very right on.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Slwiser

Re: How about Deism as an alternative to Christianity

Post by Slwiser »

"Deism has few specific doctrines beyond rejecting supernaturalism and prophetic revelations. And that appeals to me. Basically, God made us, God exists but doesn't intervene in human affairs. So, in this case, God didn't predestine the Denver Broncos to win the Super Bowl, or help you find your lost car keys, cause God apparently doesn't think that's part of God's job description. "

Not much different from the COC except when the countdown clock starts. Pure Deism after creation, COC sometime around the end of the first century.