Mindfulness

Share your personal journey of faith, skepticism, or atheism, why you believe in God or trust in science instead. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
katisha

Mindfulness

Post by katisha »

Does anyone on here practice mindfulness? With all the stress I have been under lately, my doctor suggested mediation and getting involved in this. I have been studying up on it, but would like some feed back from someone who may know it personally.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
FinallyFree

Re: Mindfulness

Post by FinallyFree »

I have wondered about meditation, but I am such a worry wart and anxiety-filled person, that I don't think I could clear my mind enough to do it!
agricola

Post by agricola »

It's interesting and is really supposed to help with anxiety, and worry and all sorts of things - but I haven't really tried although I've read a lot about it. I do TRY to be more 'in the moment' (mindful) when I think about it!
Swimming is the closest to meditation for me, I think. But my mind does wander all over - but when I'm swimming, I keep coming back to just swimming, and I don't obsess or worry.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Yes....I am very interested in the concept.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
flawed

Post by flawed »

Running is my best therapy/meditation. I wake up extra early on workdays so I can get at least 3 miles in before starting my day. It's when I do my best thinking and get some "me" time without kids, Hubby, job and family stressors.
katisha

Post by katisha »

flawed wrote:Running is my best therapy/meditation. I wake up extra early on workdays so I can get at least 3 miles in before starting my day. It's when I do my best thinking and get some "me" time without kids, Hubby, job and family stressors.
I wish I could do that. I did take up power walking several years ago when I had my weight loss. Unfortunately, an old knee injury spoke up and told me that we are not going to be doing any of that. And I was planning on doing some 5ks and 10ks at that time. OH well. I still enjoy a nice stroll around the neighborhood. Especially now that fall is coming. There is something about the cooler air that invigorates one.

I have been doing some beginning mediation drills over the past few days. Not too long, but very restful. I hope to build up to where I can get the most benefit. so far, it does relax me somewhat.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
seekingthetruth

Post by seekingthetruth »

Katisha, I posted my experience with meditation in coffee house.
katisha

Post by katisha »

seekingthetruth wrote:Katisha, I posted my experience with meditation in coffee house.
Yes, I read that. I have not experienced any "special powers". Just a nice quiet time to myself to calm my nerves and get my mind straight. So far meditation has been a beneficial thing for me.