Minimum Wage of $15

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
gordie91

Re: Minimum Wage of $15

Post by gordie91 »

KLP wrote:it is obvious to anyone with at least half a brain that $22 is the proper amount for minimum wage for full time work. How else do we expect parents working at Wendy's to be able to provide for their families. Anything below $22 hour is tantamount to slavery. And yet, people keep righteously demanding a degrading $15 minimum wage. There is no defense or argument for anything less than $22/hour. If everyone was making at least $22 hour our country would be one of the wealthiest on the planet, and everyone would be able to get out of poverty. And the rich could still be rich, but the poor would no longer be poor.

:lol:
KLP

Post by KLP »

gordie91 wrote:
KLP wrote:it is obvious to anyone with at least half a brain that $22 is the proper amount for minimum wage for full time work. How else do we expect parents working at Wendy's to be able to provide for their families. Anything below $22 hour is tantamount to slavery. And yet, people keep righteously demanding a degrading $15 minimum wage. There is no defense or argument for anything less than $22/hour. If everyone was making at least $22 hour our country would be one of the wealthiest on the planet, and everyone would be able to get out of poverty. And the rich could still be rich, but the poor would no longer be poor.

Laugh all you want, but there is no basis for not making $22/hour the guaranteed minimum income for all residents of our country.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

KLP wrote:
gordie91 wrote:

Laugh all you want, but there is no basis for not making $22/hour the guaranteed minimum income for all residents of our country.
Not laughing at your premise. I just realized how supportive you were in your posts in this forum that is for support. ;)
KLP

Post by KLP »

gordie91 wrote:Not laughing at your premise. I just realized how supportive you were in your posts in this forum that is for support. ;)
Oh I am nothing if not supportive

Also, if we are going to have a lower limit on income, then it seems that having an upper limit is reasonable. Maybe we could get people into salary/income bands that are more reflective of their actual needs. Like it is offensive to me when I see DINKs knocking down $175k and then I see some homeschool family with 6 kids where the mom is doing everything to keep the kids on track and the dad is struggling to make $50k. Obviously they need much more that the DINKs. Some people can only see need when someone is sick or having to depend on Medicaid to get surgery...I see need and imbalance all around.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
roddma

Post by roddma »

Gotta love the anti college mindset So doctors and nurses have 'worthless' degrees? Some thngs cannot be learned in trade or tech school. Should they just pull anyone off the streets and get them'book 'l'arned' You can go to college nearly free and sometimes without debt

There are plenty of grants.I think society uses the examples of a few lucky individuals s who had no college and it worked for them and they run with it.You see higher end people want no competition for their 'Johnny or Susie' with no skills.Sorry the anti education crowd just grates my nerves.

As for minimum wage, it hasnt matched the increased cost of living in a long time.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

roddma wrote:Gotta love the anti college mindset So doctors and nurses have 'worthless' degrees? Some thngs cannot be learned in trade or tech school. Should they just pull anyone off the streets and get them'book 'l'arned' You can go to college nearly free and sometimes without debt

There are plenty of grants.I think society uses the examples of a few lucky individuals s who had no college and it worked for them and they run with it.You see higher end people want no competition for their 'Johnny or Susie' with no skills.Sorry the anti education crowd just grates my nerves.

As for minimum wage, it hasnt matched the increased cost of living in a long time.

You read me wrong. I will always argue one should go to college if you can. In my opinion some fields can be learned on ones own or at least a great deal of it. If you can learn on your own and take the certification test for whatever and pass it I do not think you should be barred from that profession. I seriously doubt doctor or nurse would be fields you could learn on your own ever---too much hands on have to be shown type of learning. And it would be awfully hard to get the equipment you would need to do lab work ect without going to schoo.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
tarheel

Post by tarheel »

gordie91 wrote:

My sentiments exactly.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I think it's a great idea in theory, to raise minimum wage to $15. But again, lots of employers (and some out of pure spite) would probably lay more people off and expect one person to do the work of 3 people. Which already happens to a certain extent. They are also automating some of these jobs so you will enter your own order at Wendys' there won't be a counterperson there who does it.

https://qz.com/923442/wendys-is-respond ... th-robots/

I'd like to see nurse aides and home health aides get a minimum wage of $15 an hour. Their work cannot be automated or outsourced and it's critical to the healthcare of this country. These are also difficult and demanding jobs, and there is a shortage of people who want to do this kind of work.
tarheel

Post by tarheel »

Is everyone just ignoring the reality of a minimum wage? People, it doesn't work.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Well everyone is ignoring that $15/hour does nothing to eliminate poverty and to give people back their rightful dignity. You need $22/hour to accomplish that.