Sandy Hook was Preventable

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
KLP

Sandy Hook was Preventable

Post by KLP »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sandy-hook ... documents/
The FBI document release indicates a number of people knew the kid was threatening to kill people even kids at the school
https://vault.fbi.gov/sandy-hook-elemen ... -shooting/

I skimmed through it but it is crazy long. it is divided in 3 pdf, but the first one has a lot of stuff about the phone calls and threats that Lanza was making.

Lanza was making threats to kill people and telling them his name and using his own phone number and facebook. He told people he was going to kill his mom and kids at Sandy Hook. People reported it to the police. Nothing was done.

Lanza was diagnosed with Asperger's but he rejected the diagnosis and refused to take meds. He had no social contacts and stayed in his room for weeks and months at a time.

It really irks me that all this time we were told there was no indication and that nothing could have been done except we need to get rid of guns, because having guns around is the problem. They knew all along that this kid had severe mental and emotional issues, knew he was armed, and knew he was making threats. But nothing was done...and then they use those kids and the terrible emotions over kids being killed to say it was the gun and NRA and people who support the 2nd Amendment.

All along it was the people and the system that refused and declined to take action when they knew they had a ticking time bomb.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
faithfyl

Re: Sandy Hook was Preventable

Post by faithfyl »

Most people with Asperger's aren't violent, though. I am not sure if taking meds can "solve" Asperger's.

I can support a person's right to own a handgun or rifle. What I cannot support, is an individual saying he has the right to own a weapon of mass destruction; something that can kill hundreds of people within minutes. If a person is purchasing and stockpiling lots of weapons and ammunition, a red flag should go up.
KLP

Re: Sandy Hook was Preventable

Post by KLP »

faithfyl wrote:Most people with Asperger's aren't violent, though. I am not sure if taking meds can "solve" Asperger's.

I can support a person's right to own a handgun or rifle. What I cannot support, is an individual saying he has the right to own a weapon of mass destruction; something that can kill hundreds of people within minutes. If a person is purchasing and stockpiling lots of weapons and ammunition, a red flag should go up.
This is the point...the continual effort to shift the focus to something else. The guy was making threats to kill people, specifically the people he killed. He was not taking meds. He had severe emotional issues. Yes...there were signs, which is the point...it is not "stockpiling" and neither is it about a witch pursuit thing on Asperger's. But some still use it to shift focus from the fact it was preventable. The kid was saying he was going to kill his mom and kids at Sandy Hook and it was reported to the police. Nothing was done...it was preventable. Nothing was done until afterwards and that was to push for gun control and blame the NRA which would have done zilch for Sandy Hook as he didn't have a stockpile.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.