SBC Steps Up for Texas Church

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
Cootie Brown

SBC Steps Up for Texas Church

Post by Cootie Brown »

A local high ranking representative for the Southern Baptist Convention announced on the local news the SBC is going to pay for all the funerals in the Texas Church massacre as well as some other related cost.

Good for them!
B.H.

Re: SBC Steps Up for Texas Church

Post by B.H. »

Cootie Brown wrote:A local high ranking representative for the Southern Baptist Convention announced on the local news the SBC is going to pay for all the funerals in the Texas Church massacre as well as some other related cost.

Good for them!

That is very kind hearted.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

That is indeed a very good response.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Opie

Post by Opie »

I have a hard time picturing the CoC ever doing anything like that.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Opie wrote:I have a hard time picturing the CoC ever doing anything like that.

To save the money but not look bad about not helping most CoC's would find some doctrinal quibble to say the congregation shot up wasn't a real CoC so they shouldn't help.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

B.H. wrote:
Opie wrote:I have a hard time picturing the CoC ever doing anything like that.

To save the money but not look bad about not helping most CoC's would find some doctrinal quibble to say the congregation shot up wasn't a real CoC so they shouldn't help.
Sure, there would be a doctrinal quibble over some issue. I doubt also they would offer. I wonder where most of C of C's money goes to? Anyone know? I'd be curious to know how much that churches collect go to actual charity of any sort.
agricola

Post by agricola »

That's actually something I found out about a decade or so ago.
I was raised in a large mainstream Nashville area coc, and my dad was a deacon. His particular job was counting the collection, making deposits and so forth.

Now I grew up with the idea that it was important to donate to charity, and I did (and do). I assumed I learned that at home and church.

Then, some years before my father died, I discovered that, although he did 'tithe', EVERY PENNY OF CHARITABLE GIVING HE DONATED was money he gave to the church.

And (I also learned because he was involved with this also): EVERY PENNY OF CHURCH FUNDS DONATED TO 'THE NEEDY' WENT TO CHURCH MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING.

Apparently 'help your brother first' morphed into 'help your brother only' pretty quickly.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

But the Church of Christ is most definitely not a cult. Right?