Edward Fudge died

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
teresa
Site Admin

Edward Fudge died

Post by teresa »

For those who may be interested, I just found out Edward Fudge died Nov. 25th.

He wrote the book "The Fire that Consumes" (as opposed to eternal torture in hell), as well as short insightful essays on Bible topics. He is someone I respected for his scholarship and kindness.

https://edwardfudge.com/
KLP

Re: Edward Fudge died

Post by KLP »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. The Little Woman showed me that news article recently.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I never met him but heard he was a very kind hearted man.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
KLP

Post by KLP »

Excerpted from https://edwardfudge.com/2012/02/the-pla ... atternism/
Just as God provided Moses an exact pattern for building the Tabernacle, said the Campbells, so he had provided an exact pattern for his people to follow when restoring the apostolic church of the first century. And if people of good will would only use their common sense, the Campbells believed (following the steps of the English philosopher John Locke), they would soon discover that divine pattern and agree on its details.
And with that, they began to scour the New Testament Scriptures for scattered bits and pieces of any pattern that might be hidden there. They gathered a verse here and a phrase there. Occasionally, they picked up an entire paragraph. Then, when they believed they had found all the parts, they carefully assembled the pieces — like some giant jigsaw puzzle — to create their divine blueprint for the New Testament church.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Nooooo!!! He was such a nice man.

My condolences to his family. He really tried to make a difference in the cofc.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

KLP wrote:Excerpted from https://edwardfudge.com/2012/02/the-pla ... atternism/
Just as God provided Moses an exact pattern for building the Tabernacle, said the Campbells, so he had provided an exact pattern for his people to follow when restoring the apostolic church of the first century. And if people of good will would only use their common sense, the Campbells believed (following the steps of the English philosopher John Locke), they would soon discover that divine pattern and agree on its details.
And with that, they began to scour the New Testament Scriptures for scattered bits and pieces of any pattern that might be hidden there. They gathered a verse here and a phrase there. Occasionally, they picked up an entire paragraph. Then, when they believed they had found all the parts, they carefully assembled the pieces — like some giant jigsaw puzzle — to create their divine blueprint for the New Testament church.
Thanks for the quote, KLP. I have never read any of Fudge's work, but this quote shows me he had a lot to say.
May he rest in peace.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages