13 Kids Shackled and Starved

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
roddma

13 Kids Shackled and Starved

Post by roddma »

Parents of 13 siblings in California have been charged with child abuse and torture. Some sources say they made kids memorize Bible verses and 'God' called them to have this many kids.They seemed to be 'Quiverful' or at least conservative. I feel so badly for the kids. I think people are afraid to get involved . I think we wanna pretend it's not happening especially in alleged 'religious' home..
http://www.thisisinsider.com/california ... age-2018-1
FinallyFree

Re: 13 Kids Shackled and Starved

Post by FinallyFree »

These people are the same religion as the Duggars. They must be crazy!
agricola

Post by agricola »

The Duggars are Independent Baptists. The California couple are Pentecostals. Also the Duggars attend church services and belong to an actual organization (granted, not one I'm too fond of). The California couple have been going solo for a long time. I'd say the Duggars are acting out of sincere (if misguided) theological stance, but that California couple are flat out bat shit crazy.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

My Mom used to tell me when I was growing up that hell is experienced by many people on earth and therefore thought by them and others to be right here......so true....it will be interesting to see what religious groups, if any, step up to the plate and take these kids and older adult "kids" in....
roddma

Post by roddma »

The Duggars still hid sexual abuse which is common in IBF churches and Quiverful. They may not shackle the kids and starve them but they can manipulate and hold them mentally captive. Quiverful or isn't associated with a particular religion. It's a philosophy and mind set Incorporated into various denominations.
The dogs were better fed than the kids. It also says the 29 yr old old only weighed 82 pounds.
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/us/turpin ... index.html
flawed

Post by flawed »

The Dad is also being charged with lewd acts to a child under 14, so there was apparently also sexual abuse. The children didn’t even know what a police officer was, so I’m still trying to figure out how the 17 year old girl knew to call 911, she’s truly a hero for having the courage to do that. The only thing the kids were allowed to do was write in journals, there’s said to be hundreds of them, I’m curious to see how that will help convict the parents because that will be very compelling evidence for a jury to hear.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

roddma wrote:The Duggars still hid sexual abuse which is common in IBF churches and Quiverful. They may not shackle the kids and starve them but they can manipulate and hold them mentally captive. Quiverful or isn't associated with a particular religion. It's a philosophy and mind set Incorporated into various denominations.
The dogs were better fed than the kids. It also says the 29 yr old old only weighed 82 pounds.
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/us/turpin ... index.html
i know the Duggars are part of the Quiverful movement.
agricola

Post by agricola »

The Quiverful movement is popular in more than one fundamentalist-variety religious community. It isn't, itself, a 'religion'.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Quiverfull: A head trip based on a personal, abusive relationship with Jesus and scripture...male oppression through dominated, programmed mind control (with a little justified sexual license thrown in of course, as a perc). ....and using children as quivers in preparation for a war....Each family really becomes a cult...Sometimes in this world it is indescribably embarrassing and shameful to be a man, IMO:

Here's a former member's shocking tesimony of her escape (and transformation into atheism):

h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIH5XRIVYjY

And here's the Spiritual Abuse wheel she based her discussion on:

h**p://www.ncdsv.org/images/PowerControlwheelNOSHADING.pdf
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

I've known a lot of quiverful families. It is so sad when the mom starts having trouble with pregnancies and they just continue to crank out babies even at the expense of the mom's health. Or the mom is struggling mentally with taking care of so many young children at one time because she's literally had a baby every single year (some will even stop breastfeeding early so they can have another baby sooner!). All so that man can have his quiver full! Gag.