Oprah 2020?

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
Cootie Brown

Re: Oprah 2020?

Post by Cootie Brown »

Please, can we stop electing celebrities to offices they are not qualified for?
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:Please, can we stop electing celebrities to offices they are not qualified for?
I know right? There are no statesmen / stateswomen left to step up to the plate. You have other suggestions?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:Please, can we stop electing celebrities to offices they are not qualified for?
I know right? There are no statesmen / stateswomen left to step up to the plate. You have other suggestions?
How about that mega church dude with the hair, Ivy??
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

It would be nice to have a sane person in the White House. Or maybe that's too much to hope for. I don't know.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I agree that just being a celebrity in general, isn't a qualification. But I think Oprah has better qualifications than most actors do.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Ted Cruz is the obvious choice. In your heart you know he is right.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

While I would probably agree with a lot of her political positions, I can't imagine having the woman who gave us "The Secret" and Dr. Oz as the most powerful person in the world. Would Deepak Chopra be a cabinet member? Nancy Reagan supposedly influenced her husband after consulting a psychic.

I want the president to be grounded in reality. If she received the Democratic nomination I would vote for her for President, but I probably wouldn't vote for her in the primary.

I'm starting to wonder whether maybe the presidential election has always been a "favorite celebrity" contest.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Being the Chief Executive Officer of the country actually requires political training and experience to be successful. That is why the country has historically elected governors of large states.

Ronald Reagan was an anomaly. I hope we can get away from electing celebrities but I've read disturbing data that indicates celebrities are the ones most likely to win elections now due to their name recognition. Social media has obviously changed the world in dramatic ways but not all of those changes are good.

Out of 300,000 million people Clinton and Trump were the best we could do? That is pathetic. Obama went hard left to see if his training and theories would work in the real world. They didn't. Unemployment skyrocketed and he was the first president in modern history that failed to get the GNP beyond a 2% growth. And his foreign policy was a disaster. He was, however, an honorable man and he didn't disgrace the office of the Presidency. He was, at the very least, Presidential and sincere in his efforts to change the country for the better.

Trump, on the other hand, has restarted the economy and pissed off and insulted just about every foreign leader in the world. There are some allied countries, like England, that don't even want him in their country period. He is anything but Presidential. That noted he has beefed up National Security and secured the borders. I have to acknowledge that he has actually done a few good things, but it's hard to overlook his deficiencies and he has more than a few of those.

All of that is just my opinion of course.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie....you know you want to vote for her. ;)
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

KLP wrote:Ted Cruz is the obvious choice. In your heart you know he is right.
He's definitely [far] right. On that we agree. :lol: