Qualifications for president

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
tarheel

Qualifications for president

Post by tarheel »

There is an awful lot of talk about so and so not being qualified for president.

I am curious, what do you think qualifies one to be president? (Not the constitutional qualifications).
B.H.

Re: Qulifications for president

Post by B.H. »

To be honest I think a lot of it is just having connections, who your friends are, and who is willing to cover up your mistakes and gaffs to make you look good so as to further their own agenda.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
KLP

Post by KLP »

Experience as an executive in some major capacity ought to be one. Having some significant time and success in the private sector also ought to be a factor. Also being a state governor in a state where the governor is the executive and the state politics require some significant opposition party politics.

These factors end up also requiring or resulting in the person being wealthy and powerful. The current and past couple administrations show what the lack of such experience leads to and the chaos it results in.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Well, I'd give a few points for poise, relative attractiveness (I hate to say that, but.....this goes for either sex), and high emotional intelligence / advanced social skills. Check, check for Oprah. Ted Cruz, not so much. :lol:
Last edited by Ivy on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote:Well, I'd give a few points for poise, relative attractiveness (I hate to say that, but.....this goes for either sex), and high emotional intelligence / advanced social skills. A psychological evaluation should suggest there are minimal or no DSM Cluster B traits (narcissism, antisocial personality, borderline personality, and so forth.....) Check, check for Oprah. Ted Cruz, not so much. :lol:
Wow...In great contrast to what we have now, where narcissism is his highest rating....How do you classify the trait that keeps you from ever getting along with anyone, being liked by anyone else in the world, and garnering consensus with other political figures, even in your own party??....it seems that it would be so easy NOT to elect someone like that...but the American people sure know how to ....
Last edited by SolaDude on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

SolaDude wrote:
Ivy wrote:Well, I'd give a few points for poise, relative attractiveness (I hate to say that, but.....this goes for either sex), and high emotional intelligence / advanced social skills. A psychological evaluation should suggest there are minimal or no DSM Cluster B traits (narcissism, antisocial personality, borderline personality, and so forth.....) Check, check for Oprah. Ted Cruz, not so much. :lol:
Wow...I would think that narcissism would be his highest rating....How do you classify the trait that keeps you from ever getting along with anyone, being liked by anyone else in the world, and garnering consensus with other political figures, even in your own party??
Curmudgeon, not otherwise specified :lol:
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote:
SolaDude wrote:
Wow...I would think that narcissism would be his highest rating....How do you classify the trait that keeps you from ever getting along with anyone, being liked by anyone else in the world, and garnering consensus with other political figures, even in your own party??
Curmudgeon, not otherwise specified :lol:
Sorry, Ivy....I changed my post while you were writing this one....I thought you were classifying Trump...obviously you were not...
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

"Curmudgeon, not otherwise specified".....that's pretty funny.......
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

No, Sola, not classifying anyone.....wouldn't be ethical......I apologize that I didn't word that sentence better to make that clear. Will go back and try to correct it. I do feel strongly that there should be a thorough psychological evaluation done for anyone who plans to run for president, is running, etc. Not sure how that would work, or at what point it should be administered, and who should or would have any access to this information. It would be very sticky to manage.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote:No, Sola, not classifying anyone.....wouldn't be ethical......I apologize that I didn't word that sentence better to make that clear. Will go back and try to correct it. I do feel strongly that there should be a thorough psychological evaluation done for anyone who plans to run for president, is running, etc. Not sure how that would work, or at what point it should be administered, and who should or would have any access to this information. It would be very sticky to manage.
No need to apologize...it was fine....I had not been out of bed long before I started reading this morning and just read it with half a brain....anyway, it would STM that whatever test was given would really have to be planned very brilliantly to survive the inevitable allegations of biasness, being "rigged", etc....even if both parties picked one psychological group to test all candidates for the Democratic and Republican nomination for President, somebody is going to inevitably raise cain about an "inside job", all that kind of stuff....it just would STM to be an impossible undertaking that would ultimately lose validity and credibility (even if it did not deserve such) because of all the wing-nuts and unethical politicians and others out there.....also I would suppose both parties would have to agree on the criteria NOT qualifying someone to run for President as a result of those tests...and that sounds like a monumental task of itself to me....you know, you want to run Trump (or whoever) for President, so you move to have those criteria changed....