Here's a new way to read 'the Bible'

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
agricola

Here's a new way to read 'the Bible'

Post by agricola »

Sounds quite interesting! I'll have to check this out -

h**ps://slate.com/human-interest/2018/01/why-it-could-be-revolutionary-to-package-the-bible-as-a-novel-instead-of-a-textbook.html

Removes the 'chapter-verse with footnotes' in favor of a 'novel or narrative text' organized by genre.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Cootie Brown

Re: Here's a new way to read 'the Bible'

Post by Cootie Brown »

Will it be available in an authorized King James Version?
agricola

Post by agricola »

No Cootie, I don't think so. More modern English at least. I don't know if there is any single translation being used. This TYPE of presentation is being done by more than one group, so perhaps each is either using an existing translation or commissioning new ones (which would be super expensive, so I doubt that is common).
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Wow, I hope Moses and every other Biblical author who took painstaking measures to number their verses so the CofC could preserve their proof-texting existence don't find this out....well, I guess they'd have to say, "page 47, paragraph 2, line 6", etc. instead of book/chapter/verse....Then there will be "Page 47, paragraph 2, line 6" -based church splits...."Come visit us, we're called the Page 47 Church of Christ"......
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

SolaDude wrote:Wow, I hope Moses and every other Biblical author who took painstaking measures to number their verses so the CofC could preserve their proof-texting existence don't find this out....well, I guess they'd have to say, "page 47, paragraph 2, line 6", etc. instead of book/chapter/verse....Then there will be "Page 47, paragraph 2, line 6" -based church splits...."Come visit us, we're called the Page 47 Church of Christ"......
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So glad I wasn't drinking when I read that...