Bucket List Help, Please!

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
SolaDude

Bucket List Help, Please!

Post by SolaDude »

Okay, I'm getting older....need to compose my Bucket List of places to visit here and around the world for me and my wife...What do you all recommend we see before pushing up the daisies??
agricola

Re: Bucket List Help, Please!

Post by agricola »

San Francisco - and take the boat tour around Alcatraz and under the Bridge.
Masada
Denali - plan ahead. you have to have a bus ticket for a park tour; private vehicles can't go in the park, and the bus tours sell out well in advance.
Arches/Canyonland (Utah)
Yosemite
Yellowstone
Jerusalem
visit a volcano
see whales (Alaska or Hawaii)
ride in a helicopter - scenic anywhere
drive across country on I-40 (road trip)
see Niagara Falls from the Canadian side
Iceland
Rome, and Athens
the Taj Mahal
Mongolia
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Sola, I hope you don't kick off any time soon!! You've got a lot to do here. :)

You and Mrs. Sola can visit DH and me at our remote cabin, which is on the edge of a dormant super volcano. :D
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote:Sola, I hope you don't kick off any time soon!! You've got a lot to do here. :)
Not so sure about that, Ivy, but many thanks... :oops: ...but ya know, it kinda creeps up on ya...!
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Wow, many thanks for that list, Agricola!
KLP

Post by KLP »

Obviously everyone needs to see Weird Al Yankovic but only if he is doing a full costume show...not his current tour.

I would also recommend Carmina Burana and Magic Flute but only in full grand opera productions...no modern re-imaginings.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

KLP wrote:Obviously everyone needs to see Weird Al Yankovic but only if he is doing a full costume show...not his current tour.
But isn't he deceased?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Nope, he's still around...wasn't he a member of the CofC?? I think I recall that going around years ago when I lived in California....
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

Ivy wrote:
KLP wrote:Obviously everyone needs to see Weird Al Yankovic but only if he is doing a full costume show...not his current tour.
But isn't he deceased?
Oh no, he's still performing! Great shows. My husband and I go any time he's within an hour or so of here. :) We are going this year's show. We'll see how it is.

He is supposedly a member of a church of Christ out in Hollywood, I believe. I once went to their website for grins. Saw pictures of girls in bikinis. It's definitely NOT an NICOC. :lol:

Funny/sad thing... a coC friend of mine posted on FB asking for music for her teenage son to listen to. She had a bunch of criteria that pretty much limited him to nursery rhymes. Like she didn't want rock, it couldn't have lyrics that had lust or other sinful speech, couldn't be Christian music set to instrumental music, etc. I finally suggested Weird Al to her. Anything he wrote would be clean and not portraying sinful behavior. And the music is parodies of current popular music, so it still has that catchy tune that the teenager wants to latch onto. I just told her to avoid the polkas, as those have original song lyrics written by other people. She liked my idea. So hopefully her kid is getting to listen to something more interesting than nursery rhymes and a capella hymns. My teenager, otoh, listens to the local rock station with me. :) He also likes Weird Al.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:Sola, I hope you don't kick off any time soon!! You've got a lot to do here. :)

You and Mrs. Sola can visit DH and me at our remote cabin, which is on the edge of a dormant super volcano. :D

Ivy is so tough the volcano does not dare erupt!
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx