The Willis Family

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
faithfyl

Re: The Willis Family

Post by faithfyl »

roddma wrote:
I often wonder about people who choose to have, or adopt, large numbers of children. And why they choose that. For me, it would be stressful to raise more than 5 kids. I think some of the parents cave from the stress. If they have mental illness, it becomes even worse. Being mentally ill and being a full time caregiver don't mix well.
faith
I don't get it either. There's the Briggs family who has 34 kids, 5 bio and others adopted.. The woman tells them they are the air she breathes. Some of the kids have special needs. It seems there are especially women who can't exist without babies or toddlers around and doing kid relate things. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with caring for kids but these people don't have an ID outside of kids. Furthermore, many aren't prepared to deal with the adopted kids let alone 12 or so bio kids.
I don't think adoption agencies should allow people to adopt once their family has reached a certain size. Because it's just like putting the child into another orphanage. Also children with special needs (disabilities, etc) need more specialized attention than what they can receive in a large family. Sorry if that opinion offends anyone, but I've done a lot of research on these issues and those are the problems that I've seen. Adoption isn't always a great thing. Sometimes it's harmful. Adoption tends to be pushed and controlled by conservative Christian groups here in the US. They often exert undue pressure on poor young white women to give up their babies. During the baby scoop era (1940s to 1970s) unmarried white women literally had their babies stolen from them. Christians also push international adoption for evangelistic reasons. Every other family at my Presbyterian church has one or more adopted children. At first, I thought that was cool but now I find it disturbing. One family has a bunch of bio and adopted kids, and they're about to take in another child with disabilties. I'm not sure how they can get that child the special care that he needs, with so many other kids in the household.