Starbucks fiasco

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
faithfyl

Starbucks fiasco

Post by faithfyl »

I've been thinking a lot about the two men who were arrested at Starbuck's recently, even though they weren't committing any crime. It appears that it was racially motivated. This situation really gets to me and I won't be buying anything at Starbuck's for a long time. My husband and I had our own bad experience at a restaurant a while back where an employee accused our 9 and 2 year old kids of stealing something from the vending machines and actually sent the police to our house to talk to us. (Since they're under the age of 10 they can't be charged with anything, but fact is, they stole nothing). Since then, we just don't go to restaurants that much anymore but I would still get an espresso at Starbuck's occasionally. I won't be going back there now, either.
SolaDude

Re: Starbucks fiasco

Post by SolaDude »

faithfyl wrote:I've been thinking a lot about the two men who were arrested at Starbuck's recently, even though they weren't committing any crime. It appears that it was racially motivated. This situation really gets to me and I won't be buying anything at Starbuck's for a long time. My husband and I had our own bad experience at a restaurant a while back where an employee accused our 9 and 2 year old kids of stealing something from the vending machines and actually sent the police to our house to talk to us. (Since they're under the age of 10 they can't be charged with anything, but fact is, they stole nothing). Since then, we just don't go to restaurants that much anymore but I would still get an espresso at Starbuck's occasionally. I won't be going back there now, either.
Howard Schultz needs to address this like yesterday with not only an apology, but a very concerted plan to reverse and change this racist climate. I would expect this one incident to take down the value of the company's stock precipitously, especially if nothing is done immediately.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Take down their value of their stock. May very well have that effect. I personally, won't be returning to Starbuck's. If I even suspect a business has an inclination to call the police on their customers over a simple misunderstanding, that's enough to make me stay away.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Other than a short stint having a yard business and teaching school I have been in some type of retail the last 25 years. It's nothing for people to want to come in my store and wait to meet up with someone. I don't care, and it doesn't freak me out. I'll even allow the odd person asking if they could charge their phone to charge their phone if they want to.

I have noticed a lot of older white people, some but less and less younger white people, and a lot of hispanics are bigoted and fearful of black people. They think black men are superhumanly strong and black women are hyper aggressive and will become violent the minute they don't get their way one something. I read up about this once and it is a myth about the black men. Some black men have evolved the ability to become superstrong when facing something very stressful like a life and death situation. You find this in other races to a degree but the uncommon is more common in black men. If you lined up all the white men, black men, asian men, and hispanic men you would find it is true there will be more black men on the stronger side than say, white or asian, but you would find most black men in the average strength range where most of the whites and hispanics would be found.

As for the women, black women get a reputation they do not deserve. I have very rarely ever encountered the stereotypical aggressive black female. The fews times I have seen it I have figured it was to try to bluff and get away with a crime or the person was mentally ill or they just wanted something. But I have seen this in white women and hispanic women in pretty much the same amount and same reasons. I also, at least in this area, do not see the black women running around in skimpy clothes and half naked like the tv shows often like to portray them as being. They actually dress rather conservatively if truth be told.

When I taught school up in Dallas I could go all day and the only white person I would see would be me in the mirror when I went to the bathroom. Not once did I ever have anyone try to scare me or intimidate me or ever treat me with disrespect. I found all the people I interacted with to be gentlemanly and ladylike and at work always professional. At home I have never had any problems with anyone because of race. One of the neighbor girls I played with a lot was black. I have cousins who are part black and they eat from my table like the white and hispanic relatives and are just as welcome. Maybe one day a pretty girl may come along and throw a wedding ring on BH's finger and maybe she'll be black and if so so what?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I didn't go to Starbucks anyway; not my cup of coffee.

This incident was appalling. It's another example demonstrating that we still have a long way to go
to achieve true equality / equity for all...you can't "wait while black" in certain places without being harassed.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I like Dunkin Donuts coffee better, anyway.

Also, the 911 call was released that the manager made to the police. She just said "they aren't ordering anything and won't leave their table." So in other words, they were doing nothing. I wonder how she feels knowing her actions caused her not only to lose her job, but caused a major corporation to lose millions of dollars. A lot of people who work in Starbucks are younger (under 50) and aren't from the older generation that is supposedly more racist. What this manager did (kicking black men out of a coffee shop) was something that would have been done in 1960, not 2018.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

The manager overreacted. Once their friend arrived, that should have been the end of it.
These guys were detained for several hours. The police messed up that part.
The company president went to Philadelphia to meet the two gentlemen who were arrested. That was smart. He also met with the Mayor. Not smart. He'd have been better off to meet with the Police Commissioner.

I know that neighborhood, and also people who patronize that store. They're of varying ideologies and ethnicities. To a person, every one of them says what happened was very wrong. When I've been around that area, I see a diverse group of people. I'm not scared of someone because he or she is black. Now, if a person is screaming, cursing and charging at me or someone else, yeah, I'm scared. Most people would be. Nice people come in all sizes and colors and all that. So do hoodlums, thugs and miscreants. These two gentlemen were not any of the latter. The manager got huffy and then panicky, apparently because two black guys were in his store.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:I like Dunkin Donuts coffee better, anyway.
I drink my coffee at home, as is directed by Mnala 4:27 - 30.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

I had not heard about this incident until just now. YIKES!! It is sad to think that, in this day and age, people still judge others based on race and ethnicity.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote:
faithfyl wrote:I like Dunkin Donuts coffee better, anyway.
I drink my coffee at home, as is directed by Mnala 4:27 - 30.
Is that with cream or sugar? If so, does Mnala 4:27-30 specifically allow that, or is it a necessary inference?