Broadening the Mind to Assess Reality

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
SolaDude

Broadening the Mind to Assess Reality

Post by SolaDude »

In coming out of the CofC, one major challenge IMO is to actually look at what may characterize a commonality as amongst all religious beliefs rather than focusing on the self-righteousness of one's own religious dogma to the intellectual and conscious exclusion of all others. And this goes for everyone everywhere in the world and I think was reflected in the life outlook of many like Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, etc., that is, trying to open a universalistic-type appreciation mindset or world view of one another.

When one starts looking at all other religious beliefs, whether theistic or non-theistic, it becomes readily apparent that there is a supreme aspiration in everyone of attaining, hoping for, and appreciating a "trueness" of love AND trying to manifest or internalize the best in human nature. It does not take long to then become cognizant of the striking similarities characterizing all religious belief apart from man's own perverse weaponizing of it.

And in the context of Christianity, what is most striking is then coming back to read scriptures which you have read over and over all your life, with a completely new perspective that is free from the toxic prejudices of your own particular, indoctrinated dogma. It may seem counter-intuitive to see universalism from a Christian perspective, but here's an example:

Romans 2:6-11 (NIV)
6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

After that Paul then explains what all of that boils down to or means for Christians.

Even Jesus Christ exemplified the ultimate truth of "action trumps words" in one's own contemplation of "what is goodness":

Matthew 21:28-31 (NIV) Parable of the Two Sons
28 “What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’
29 “‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.
30 “Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.
31 “Which of the two did what his father wanted?”
“The first,” they answered. Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.

And even more directly, the following can be seen in a very different light:

Matthew 7:21 (NIV)
21 Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

It therefore becomes a more disquieting, yet reasoned conviction to realize that those who do the will of God by living good lives of "action trumping words", and doing so according to their beliefs and their conscience, are showing their faith in God, whether they call it faith or not.