.....and the school violence continues...

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
Ivy

.....and the school violence continues...

Post by Ivy »

These events are happening with increasing frequency; weekly it seems. The "thoughts and prayers" offered by national leadership and religious gun advocates are insulting. Someone made a great point in favor of improved gun laws / restrictions...the last kid used a shotgun and a handgun that his father didn't keep locked up. I think we will have to go beyond just banning AR-15s. It's not enough. We need comprehensive change to ensure public safety. If these comprehensive policy changes are not forthcoming, we will likely have to revisit / revamp the 2nd amendment. The founders could never have foreseen the increase in violent, disturbed young people and adult citizens we are seeing today.

On another note.....my DH went to a baseball game the other day and he said the entryway looked like a military scene from Handmaid's Tale. Sports teams have the money to implement heavily armed security; schools unfortunately do not.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
KLP

Re: .....and the school violence continues...

Post by KLP »

Guns are all but banned in many countries and yet they continue to have mass murder events.

If any other business had such a horrible safety record as schools it seems they would go out of business or increase their security like a football game or music concert or airport. But instead people keep sending their kids to these businesses and expecting different results. I thought that was the definition of insanity.

Schools are obviously not safe. Is there any chance all pistols, shotguns, rifles, and knives will disappear anytime soon? So why would schools become safer?
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote:These events are happening with increasing frequency; weekly it seems. The "thoughts and prayers" offered by national leadership and religious gun advocates are insulting. Someone made a great point in favor of improved gun laws / restrictions...the last kid used a shotgun and a handgun that his father didn't keep locked up. I think we will have to go beyond just banning AR-15s. It's not enough. We need comprehensive change to ensure public safety. If these comprehensive policy changes are not forthcoming, we will likely have to revisit / revamp the 2nd amendment. The founders could never have foreseen the increase in violent, disturbed young people and adult citizens we are seeing today.

On another note.....my DH went to a baseball game the other day and he said the entryway looked like a military scene from Handmaid's Tale. Sports teams have the money to implement heavily armed security; schools unfortunately do not.
The 2nd amendment was talking about black powder weapons.
agricola

Post by agricola »

The Second Amendment was talking about the right of the slave states to maintain a state militia with armed slaveowners legally permitted to call out their buddies and neighbors to suppress potential slave rebellions.

Read the Federalist Papers. The Second Amendment was a concession to the slave-owning states to continue to arm the white population against uprisings. A little bandaid to cover their asses included armed citizen militias against Native American attacks on the frontier.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote:The Second Amendment was talking about the right of the slave states to maintain a state militia with armed slaveowners legally permitted to call out their buddies and neighbors to suppress potential slave rebellions.

Read the Federalist Papers. The Second Amendment was a concession to the slave-owning states to continue to arm the white population against uprisings. A little bandaid to cover their asses included armed citizen militias against Native American attacks on the frontier.
Well, that's a seamy history.

I always thought it was so the people could protect themselves from the government. Is that not the case?

It's way beyond time for gun law reform.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote: Well, that's a seamy history.

I always thought it was so the people could protect themselves from the government. Is that not the case?

It's way beyond time for gun law reform.
I like agricola's response. There was a great fear of a black slave rebellion. This extended into the 1960's ie Selma. The thing was that MLK kept the lid on an explosion that had just cause. I felt the way you do because the biggest danger to a Democratic form of government is electing a despot. Hitler was elected at first. He also demanded loyalty. It is time for gun reform. California is a heavy gun control state but we still have problems.