It used to be easy

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
singing with drums

It used to be easy

Post by singing with drums »

Howdy folks.
Maybe I am the only one having this situation, but despite having changed my settings several times, and requesting notifications when I want to follow a thread, I still do not get them. is that just the way it is now? If it is, I get it.
When I expressed this a few years ago, someone responded with something like "Well, if you really cared, going through all of the steps to get into the forum wouldn't bother you."
Oh well. I chalked it up to that person's having been taught how to respond to people by the CoC, not a group known for courtesy, then I just stayed away for a while.
I don't want to stay away. There are some nice folks here.
God is good.
Shrubbery

Re: It used to be easy

Post by Shrubbery »

I haven't tried following a thread yet, but I've used forums with this software many times before and never had a problem. I would check what e-mail address you have set up (make sure it's the same one you're checking) and also check your spam folder in your e-mail, just in case notifications are being filed away there.

I normally log in once or twice a day and just click the "view unread posts" link near the top of the forum list. That shows me the threads that have new posts since I last read them.

I hope one of the admins can get it working for you! :)
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

I'm not tech savvy. What do I need to do in order to get email notifications for a particular thread that I want to follow? Is there a button for that on the thread?

I want to test to see if it works for me, so I can look further into how the system works. I may need to change something on the administrative software.

One thing I did read on the phpbb site is that the software will only send out one email notification after one or more replies. To get another email notification the person who asked for notifications has to post again on the thread.
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

teresa wrote:I'm not tech savvy. What do I need to do in order to get email notifications for a particular thread that I want to follow? Is there a button for that on the thread?
If you scroll down to the bottom of the thread screen, there is a blue section below the who's online section, and there is a "subscribe topic" next to the Board Index link.
agricola

Post by agricola »

I have that box checked routinely, and I NEVER get emails.
what I do, if I want to deliberately 'follow' a discussion, is this:

Make a post in the discussion (for instance 'following') just to let the system know about that thread.
Visit the board, and check 'view your posts' (in the light blue panel at the top next to 'User Control Panel')

That will bring up your posts ordered by date/time, according to the thread. You'll have to remember the title of the thread, or you can just check each one out until you find the one you want - it doesn't take long!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
agricola

Post by agricola »

You can also use the advance search feature - so make a post in the thread you want to follow that has some specific word or phrase in it ('followed by me') and then search on that phrase.

Go to 'view my posts' again, and click on 'return to advanced search' (yeah, I know you were never actually IN 'advanced search' - don't worry about it) and you'll get a page where you can enter all kinds of parameters to find posts, including usernames and topics - and you can search on phrases.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I am still enjoying that line "Well, if you really cared, going through all of the steps to get into the forum wouldn't bother you."

That is awesome...so outrageous. If I didn't write it, I would like to take credit for it. That is Phil Hendrie funny
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

testing testing
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

I haven't figured out the problem yet.
singing with drums

Post by singing with drums »

Thanks for the advice.
Nothing is working yet, so I will just keep checking in. Although I belong to a Facebook group for "Exers," I appreciate the certain level of anonymity here. Sometimes I think I will burst with the things I want to say from the shadows, not being ready to say "HEY Facebook and everyone else in this world, here's who I am, and why I am angry!"
God is good.