Canadian Facebook Friend

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
FinallyFree

Canadian Facebook Friend

Post by FinallyFree »

I noticed a post made by a Canadian Facebook friend encouraging her fellow Canadians not to purchase anything that says “Made in the USA”. She sounds very angry. It is sad that we are losing our international friends.
Ivy

Re: Canadian Facebook Friend

Post by Ivy »

FinallyFree wrote:I noticed a post made by a Canadian Facebook friend encouraging her fellow Canadians not to purchase anything that says “Made in the USA”. She sounds very angry. It is sad that we are losing our international friends.
Consequences. I hate that he has alienated us from Canada.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

FinallyFree wrote:I noticed a post made by a Canadian Facebook friend encouraging her fellow Canadians not to purchase anything that says “Made in the USA”. She sounds very angry. It is sad that we are losing our international friends.
Well, avoiding our products shouldn’t be too difficult. I hardly find anything made in the USA any more. :lol:

Agree that we shouldn’t be alienating Canada.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote:
Well, avoiding our products shouldn’t be too difficult. I hardly find anything made in the USA any more. :lol:
I know right? :lol: I wish they would tell us where to find such products.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Are you aware the U.S. has been running huge trade deficients for decades with virtually all of our trading partners? Free trade has been a good deal for everyone but the U.S.

Whether Trumps action will eventually prove to be good or bad remains to be seen, but at least he's the first President to do something about the enormous trade deficients we've been running.

The raw truth of the matter is that Canada and Europe needs us more than we need them.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

CNN said that the US actually has a trade surplus with Canada. I read that Trump said he lied (he just made it up when he was talking to him) to Trudeau about that. He just makes up stuff to justify what he wants to do. I also read it depends on what data you use. Also, statistics from the Office of the United States Trade refute Trump’s claim of a trade deficit.
As far as finding goods made in USA, I wondered about that, but that was what she said and she sounded really angry. I just hate for Canadians to feel that way about us. They do have a really cute prime minister!
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

FinallyFree wrote:CNN said that the US actually has a trade surplus with Canada. I read that Trump said he lied (he just made it up when he was talking to him) to Trudeau about that. He just makes up stuff to justify what he wants to do. I also read it depends on what data you use. Also, statistics from the Office of the United States Trade refute Trump’s claim of a trade deficit.
As far as finding goods made in USA, I wondered about that, but that was what she said and she sounded really angry. I just hate for Canadians to feel that way about us. They do have a really cute prime minister!
I haven't checked Canada specifically so I'll accept what you say unless I find different info. I'm not a Trumpeter, but I am willing to judge his actions and results based on the best information at hand. The U.S. has a serious trade deficient problem and no other President has been willing to touch it. Trump tends to be a bull in a china shop and it seems he isn't afraid of much of anything. He's willing to go where no President has gone before. That may be good or bad, only time will tell.

I wasn't a fan of Obama but I gave him the benefit of the doubt when I didn't agree with him.

Being President of the U.S. is the toughest job in the world. I'm willing to cut, whoever the President is, some slack because I don't have access to all the information he had. That said, I've noted before that Trump is a loose cannon. He isn't a politician. He appears to be a hard core narcissists. That can be both bad and good. Our best leader are usually hard core narcisssists that's what makes them good leaders.

History will determine whether Trump was a good, adequate, or poor President but that will take some 25 years to decide that fairly.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Ok. Sound good to me.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Import/Export trade balance by country is easy enough to find and verify.
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c1220.html

USA has a negative trade balance with Canada, but it is not huge. And of course there are different ways to measure, like services instead of actual import/exported products.
This is by country for combined goods and services:
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/Pr ... /exh20.pdf

Bringing in services instead of actual imports/exports, then USA has on balance a trade surplus with Canada.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I often vacation in Canada even though I find many of their policies and politicians to be reprehensible. I also am often on the phone with colleagues in Canada and we seem to be able to work together just fine and we don't discuss our politics. But then I am not generally one for the political anger and hatred and banning and boycotting. I just do what I enjoy and/or what I decide is best for me, don't have time for the hate.

Most Hollywood folks are lefty loons but that doesn't stop me from watching movies, I just try best as I can to avoid/ignore their rants, tantrums, and virtue signaling. They are hired entertainers and that is all I want from them...nothing else...just "dance" for me and make me happy. Anything else and I tune out.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.