Bill Maher

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
FinallyFree

Bill Maher

Post by FinallyFree »

Does anyone watch his HBO show? I do enjoy it, but I don’t agree with everything he says. Anyway, Cootie, have you seen his documentary “Religulous”? I watched it last night and thought of you. It is your kind of thing.
Ivy

Re: Bill Maher

Post by Ivy »

FinallyFree wrote:Does anyone watch his HBO show? I do enjoy it, but I don’t agree with everything he says. Anyway, Cootie, have you seen his documentary “Religulous”? I watched it last night and thought of you. It is your kind of thing.
Yes, we do sometimes watch it. He is a hot mess and can get really mean with his roastings. Sometimes I agree
with him, sometimes I don't.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Yes, he has said that drugs are good and religion is bad—not a good statement, in my opinion. Although, I admit some drugs can be good (legal, but I don’t think he meant it that way) and, of course religion can be bad. Maybe I agree more than I thought I did.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

FinallyFree wrote:Does anyone watch his HBO show? I do enjoy it, but I don’t agree with everything he says. Anyway, Cootie, have you seen his documentary “Religulous”? I watched it last night and thought of you. It is your kind of thing.

I don't have any movie channels on my TV service. So, no, I haven't seen it but I want to encourage you to watch it over and over and over because I think you really need to listen to what he's saying. :lol: :lol: :lol:
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Cootie, he is exactly like you and takes the black & white thing to the other extreme. It doesn’t bother me, though, because I am at peace with my beliefs.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

FinallyFree wrote:Cootie, he is exactly like you and takes the black & white thing to the other extreme. It doesn’t bother me, though, because I am at peace with my beliefs.

In other words you are tactfully telling me that non-believers tend to be arrogant, know it all, butt holes? :lol: Well, I have no choice but to plead guilty, but it seems I have a lot of company. ;)

Maybe....just maybe, what we're saying is the problem more so than how we're saying it? Maybe our thoughts and words are what is so offensive rather than the manner in which we are delivering our thoughts....and then again, maybe not. Non-believers (atheists) and fundamentalist tend to be very passionate about their beliefs and passionate people do tend to come across too strongly in many peoples opinion.

I'm actually trying to work on that, but don't expect miracles. My passion often tends to override my manners and that sort of thing is pretty common among folks that have strong opinions and beliefs. But I am aware that I tend to be a bull in a china shop and I'm trying to rein some of my enthusiasm in a bit.

I am quick to apologize if I'm made aware that I've offended someone, unless it is the position I'm taking that offends people. I can't change what I am convinced is true, without a lot of evidence that I'm wrong and that so far has not been presented by those holding a different perspective.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:I'm actually trying to work on that, but don't expect miracles. My passion often tends to override my manners and that sort of thing is pretty common among folks that have strong opinions and beliefs.
Cootie, it's really very simple. Don't overthink it. All you have to do is treat others like you want to be treated at all times, including when discussing your beliefs.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:I'm actually trying to work on that, but don't expect miracles. My passion often tends to override my manners and that sort of thing is pretty common among folks that have strong opinions and beliefs.
Cootie, it's really very simple. Don't overthink it. All you have to do is treat others like you want to be treated at all times, including when discussing your beliefs.
I get that and you're right. And I'm sure my c of C experience has a lot to do with my passion because fear is a big part of their tactics, as well as other fundamentalists groups. I don't have any major issues with mainstream & liberal versions of Christianity, but fundamentalists are another matter. This site, and the need for this site, is evidence of the harm such groups are capable of.

Do you just stand by in silence and let that stuff go on? If a neighbors house is on fire do you just watch it burn or to you warm them and try and get them out?
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:Do you just stand by in silence and let that stuff go on? If a neighbors house is on fire do you just watch it burn or to you warm them and try and get them out?
If there's a clear danger that you can see, such as a fire, then you alert them and help them get out. OTOH, if you just think in your heart or imagination that they are in danger because they "believe incorrectly" according to you, then that is your cue to just back off and detach from the need to "rescue" them, and focus on your own issues. If they ask you to share your belief system with them, then you can do so because they requested to hear your perspective.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:Do you just stand by in silence and let that stuff go on? If a neighbors house is on fire do you just watch it burn or to you warm them and try and get them out?
If there's a clear danger that you can see, such as a fire, then you alert them and help them get out. OTOH, if you just think in your heart or imagination that they are in danger because they "believe incorrectly" according to you, then that is your cue to just back off and detach from the need to "rescue" them, and focus on your own issues. If they ask you to share your belief system with them, then you can do so because they requested to hear your perspective.

Yeah, you're right.