Another Question about NICOC

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
agricola

Re: Another Question about NICOC

Post by agricola »

FinallyFree wrote:To me, it is totally crazy! I was never taught there was anything sacred about the building—especially in a CofC where there are no religious symbols, with maybe the exception of stained glass windows or something.
Me too. The building was just a building.
In which one could not bring a piano, or throw a party, or house or feed the poor, or even talk too loudly or walk too fast, or do anything but 'worship'. But it's just a building.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
ena

Post by ena »

agricola wrote:
FinallyFree wrote:To me, it is totally crazy! I was never taught there was anything sacred about the building—especially in a CofC where there are no religious symbols, with maybe the exception of stained glass windows or something.
Me too. The building was just a building.
In which one could not bring a piano, or throw a party, or house or feed the poor, or even talk too loudly or walk too fast, or do anything but 'worship'. But it's just a building.
One CoCer I remembered called it a sanctuary. She was the queen of my CoC. The biggest gossip and liar. She is dead. My CoC is probably better for her passing. I got that it was more than a building. Of course they did not patake the Lord's Supper properly because it was not wine and not in an upper room or on Wednesday night. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Ivy wrote:
Moogy wrote:Ivy, Your wedding venue had gorgeous grounds. Our old NICOC might have been “funky”, but it was also downright ugly! :mrgreen:
It had it's own charm. A bit of trivia that might be of interest, Moogy. Once an old friend-turned-preacher (he had a neo-pentecostal orientation) visited a service at that church building with my DH and me. Friend told us later that he had seen demons sitting on the ceiling beams in the attic.
That wasn’t a demon, it was just me, spying on everyone! :lol:

Did the guy have x-ray vision? There were no visible beams that I can recall. Or did you take him into the “upper room” where we had Young Adult Bible Class? That was like an attic....
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote:
Ivy wrote:
Moogy wrote:Ivy, Your wedding venue had gorgeous grounds. Our old NICOC might have been “funky”, but it was also downright ugly! :mrgreen:
It had it's own charm. A bit of trivia that might be of interest, Moogy. Once an old friend-turned-preacher (he had a neo-pentecostal orientation) visited a service at that church building with my DH and me. Friend told us later that he had seen demons sitting on the ceiling beams in the attic.
That wasn’t a demon, it was just me, spying on everyone! :lol:

Did the guy have x-ray vision? There were no visible beams that I can recall. Or did you take him into the “upper room” where we had Young Adult Bible Class? That was like an attic....
No, I think he would have said he could see through the ceiling by the spirit. The beams were not visible. No, we didn't take him into the "upper room". I knew you'd enjoy that story, Moogy. :D
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

He probably saw a bunch of Coc preachers spying on your church's preacher trying to find something to write him up over in the old outhouse bible times magazine. As mean as they be to each other they could be confused with demons.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote: No, I think he would have said he could see through the ceiling by the spirit. The beams were not visible. No, we didn't take him into the "upper room". I knew you'd enjoy that story, Moogy. :D
You had a beam in your eye. I've come to pick the mote.
Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

FinallyFree wrote:From what I have read on here, is it true that you can’t have weddings in the church building?
All the NICOC congregations I attended except one did not allow weddings in the building because too many people thought it wasn't a "scriptural" use of the building. However, hardly anybody wanted to use those buildings anyway because they were b*tt-ugly and nobody wants cheap paneling and shag carpet from the 70s in their wedding photos. :P
I know a little about a lot of things...just enough to make me dangerous.
http://normalisnotanoption.blogspot.com
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Free Spirit wrote:hardly anybody wanted to use those buildings anyway because they were b*tt-ugly and nobody wants cheap paneling and shag carpet from the 70s in their wedding photos. :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I chose NOT to use the building for my wedding (my own reasons) and STILL got my butt chewed out for spending (minimal) money on another venue. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

I've never been a member of an NI-CoC that didn't allow it. My wife and I were married in one. R. J. Stevens sang a solo!

Most people now get married at wedding venues, so it's becoming a non-issue anyway. Neither of my sons nor any of my nieces and nephews got married in a church building. They all rented much more attractive places!
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

This is all linked to the rather nebulous ideas that most CoCs have about what a worship service is. The answer to that question will lead to the answer to the wedding question. My childhood church hosted weddings from time to time but musical instruments were not allowed in the building at any time. I recall one wedding though where a karaoke machine was set up and a cassette with instrumental music was played. That was tolerated for some reason.

When I married in 2010 I was still a CoCer but we used the base chapel. The CoC I attended was truly ugly inside and lacked any source of natural light. The bride and I were in agreement that it was not a suitable place for a wedding. The minister had no problem using the alternate site and he didn't object to our musical selections either.

Think about the architecture of the typical NICoC though: there is absolutely nothing that would recommend it as a wedding venue.