A question for Teresa....

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
Ivy

Re: A question for Teresa....

Post by Ivy »

BH, remember the HIPAA laws.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

That only applies to medical offices/doctors/professionals! BH is safe.

I read through that HIPAA stuff. It basically says they can't give your information out to anybody except practically the entire world of doctors, pharmacists, hospitals and insurance companies. But they can't really tell YOU much, and God forbid they tell your family anything at all.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote:That only applies to medical offices/doctors/professionals! BH is safe.
Yes I do know (I work in the medical field) but I was just trying to call it to BH's attention so he could delete it. We don't want to violate mnala's (or anyone's) trust or disclose their private information. In fact, I believe we should operate here as though we DO have a HIPAA-like law covering support forums. And, thankfully, teresa took care of it. :D

***Teresa, I almost called you Mother Teresa.....LOL!! ***
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

Lerk wrote: At the time, I was hoping to change the church from within (yeah, right!). One thing that had happened was a conversation with a guy at work where, out of the blue, he asked me if I thought one was saved at the point of faith or at the point of baptism.
Does it matter? A Baptist will say that he followed Jesus in baptism. Jesus was baptized with the baptism of John. He remained a Jew. If you don't have faith even with a CoC baptism you are not saved. The thief on the cross died after Jesus died yet was saved. Could he be baptized. He was spiked through the heel bone to the upright not the front of the foot. You can twiddle with this one for ever. Jesus decides whether you are saved or not. The CoC preaches that the water somehow saves you. Water represents blood in that sense. Baptists will tell you that the blood of Jesus saves you. There was alot of blood. Once you have been baptized and believe the point is moot. I believe that faith saves you. Faith without works is proof of nothing. That is in James. This is a tricky question. For me it is moot as I have bases covered. There is no way to change the CoC from within.
It cannot anchor to God because it in general is afraid of judgement and of the wrath of God. It should be. That is because no human can be saved on their own merits without the covering grace of Jesus. It is Jesus that decides. There are two resurrections. One to reign with Christ and one for the Lake of Fire. The first resurrection comes at more than one time. This is described in Revelation 20. The whole chapter not verse by verse. Verse by verse is dangerous if you do not have the full context. Classic CoC mistake. There are other verses that support this but usually only one of the resurrections is talked about. Google two resurrections to find other verses.
ena

Post by ena »

tarheel wrote:
teresa wrote:Petros thinks it was 1990 or 1991.
Are you sure? PC's were still in their infancy at that time. I am not sure modem's were commercially available for home use at that time.
They were I used to have 3 phone lines in my house for modems. You had bulletin boards then. I learned to use a browser in 1996. It was Netscape. You had Yahoo and some banking services. Nothing like today. Sears killed itself when it elimitated its catalogue stores. It did not properly replace it with web pages. It did have some thing on line but nowhere near what it catalogue had. My Dad used to use it for toilet paper in a outside shanty as a boy. I have seen cut up newspaper in Germany in 1968. We may be back there soon. Better than corn cobs. Bears go in the woods without Charmin. When I lived in a rural area Sears was the best way to get stuff. It is now going the way of Montgomery Wards otherwise known as Monkey Wards. It died years ago along with the five and dime stores. Remember Sprouse Reitz or Grant's. Remember when 711's did not exist. Remember how big cell phones were in the 1980's. Most feel naked without a smart phone today. In the 1970's there were no cell phones. Remember pagers. My first cell phone was so bad that I actually went back to a pager. I used a slide rule for chemistry in the 1960's. There were no calculators hand held. There were business calculators. My dad taught a business class in high school. I used to think was a gas to divide by zero which has infinity as an answer. The machines were mechanical and would spin and spin. I later used one for some calculations in college as they could resolve things in more digits. I once took a calculus class where I used basic to do integration of area under the curve. This is the basis of formulas for areas of a circle or a rectangle or triangle that you learned in geometry or Trigonometry. A computer can take an hour and a very close approximayion. You can do it to the nearest thousanth of an inch.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

ena wrote:The board was open in 2005 when I had my head injury. I remember when mnala had meningitus. I lost a friend to that. I hope he is ok today. There are two forms viral and bacterial. They infect the lining of the brain.
Just an FYI. There is a vaccine for meningitis. I got it at a drugstore a while back, since the vaccine wasn't available when I was a kid.
singing with drums

Post by singing with drums »

I got my iMac in 1996, with dial up with aol.com account.
Ifound this forum a few years later.
God is good.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Dial up internet was around as early as 1990, if not sooner. But that was the first time I had it - and that was in rural Nevada, on a party line - talk about slow!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

ena wrote:
Lerk wrote: At the time, I was hoping to change the church from within (yeah, right!). One thing that had happened was a conversation with a guy at work where, out of the blue, he asked me if I thought one was saved at the point of faith or at the point of baptism.
Does it matter? A Baptist will say that he followed Jesus in baptism. Jesus was baptized with the baptism of John. He remained a Jew. If you don't have faith even with a CoC baptism you are not saved. The thief on the cross died after Jesus died yet was saved. Could he be baptized. He was spiked through the heel bone to the upright not the front of the foot. You can twiddle with this one for ever. Jesus decides whether you are saved or not. The CoC preaches that the water somehow saves you. Water represents blood in that sense. Baptists will tell you that the blood of Jesus saves you. There was alot of blood. Once you have been baptized and believe the point is moot. I believe that faith saves you. Faith without works is proof of nothing. That is in James. This is a tricky question. For me it is moot as I have bases covered. There is no way to change the CoC from within.
It cannot anchor to God because it in general is afraid of judgement and of the wrath of God. It should be. That is because no human can be saved on their own merits without the covering grace of Jesus. It is Jesus that decides. There are two resurrections. One to reign with Christ and one for the Lake of Fire. The first resurrection comes at more than one time. This is described in Revelation 20. The whole chapter not verse by verse. Verse by verse is dangerous if you do not have the full context. Classic CoC mistake. There are other verses that support this but usually only one of the resurrections is talked about. Google two resurrections to find other verses.
Ephesians 2:8-10 says salvation comes by faith through grace, not of works. Baptism isn’t even mentioned. And the writer notes works will not get anyone to Heaven. If baptism is essential to salvation that is a glaring omission by the writer, who is assumed to be inspired.

Jesus clearly says the law is forever and will never pass away. Paul says the law was nailed to the cross and mankind is now under grace not law. Are we to believe Paul or Jesus?

Glaring irreconcilable differences like those are just some of the reasons I no longer take the Bible literally or even seriously.
mnala

Post by mnala »

In the before times (2001) there was the old board and the Old Ones who delivered the testament of those who had wandered out of captivity and were seeking the promised land. There were prophets and prophetesses that wrote and delivered their testimonies of the many trials, tribulations, signs, and wonders. Many great works were performed in those days, and brethren were often under surveillance and attack by "evangelists". Mnala and the Old Ones fought many hard battles and the numbers of the assembly were added to daily, such as should be saved.

Their numbers increased and before long their murmurings could no longer be held within old bulletin board temple. Petros and Teresa descended from on high with message to the throng: it was time to make pilgrimage to a new land. The old board's teachings and proverbs, which had been our schoolmaster, were done away with and we were brought into a new messaging dispensation. A new board to accommodate the needs of a vibrant, growing throng of wounded servants who needed a daily outlet for their weeping and wailing. The Old Ones remained to carry on the original ministry of free sharing, compassion, and love.

After the passion of mnala in 2007 most of the Old Ones who walked with mnala were transfigured and caught up to Facebook where they communed in the fullness of all their earthly glory. Satan, the roaring lion seeking whom he may devour, came for them. Like as dogs returning to their vomit, many succumbed to vain babblings about worldly and unseemly matters, turning on one another, each one believing themselves to be more wise than the others, with some saying "I am of mnala" others saying they knew a better way.

They have now been scattered all over the land. If one were to search diligently enough, some of the Old Ones and of their wisdom can still be found. Mnala still watches with all-seeing eyes. "Lo, be not askeert for I am with you always" -Mnala 3:16