Deep South Mindset...

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
B.H.

Re: Deep South Mindset...

Post by B.H. »

faithfyl wrote:
B.H. wrote:
Ivy wrote:Well, I really didn't mean to open a can of worms with this post. But I guess any time the Civil War comes up, it is a nasty can of worms.
I accepted a long time ago after my university college studies as well as much self directed study my family was on the wrong side of the civil war. My family owned slaves up in Arkansas. I do not know how they treated them but I am sure even under the kindest masters slavery still sucked. I know their names and their are lots of blacks that live in that area today that have their last name. I probably am blood related to them. In a way they got back at old master. If they are descendants of his slaves they have done better than most of masters descendants. I haven't done bad in life but they have gone on to be doctors and lawyers and such. I grinned when I realized this and said "You know what. Good for them"..
What part of Arkansas? Most of my family is from Arkansas, even going way back.

Monticello and surrounding Drew County.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

B.H. wrote:
Monticello and surrounding Drew County.
I had to look up where Monitcello is. Most of my family from the northwestern part of Arkansas. I have very few ancestors that were born anywhere but Arkansas.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

Anyway, regarding statues and names of streets....I don't care if those things are removed or changed. It doesn't affect my life. If a statue of a confederate is taken down, that's just fine with me. I can understand how those images might be deeply hurtful or offensive to people.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:Well, I really didn't mean to open a can of worms with this post. But I guess any time the Civil War comes up, it is a nasty can of worms.

Ivy you didn't just open any can of worms but a can of stinky maggots. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

A friend of mine was a civil war confederate rein actor. He had a bumper sticker on his car that said, "Heritage not hate." There was no need to tear down Robert E. Lee because he had fought for the Union before. He chose to go with Virginia. The Union had much trouble with its leadership. Lee had been part of taking out John Brown who was trying to start a slave rebellion by taking over an armory.