next intellectual project

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
B.H.

next intellectual project

Post by B.H. »

I just finished reading a hundred or so books written by Karl Marx and his associates up till the time of around the Russian Revolution . Anyway, I was thinking of my next big project and decide I am going to give the so called "Church Fathers" a go. I can tell it is going to be rather boring and bland at times from some scattered sample reading I have made.

So far I have made it through the apostolic fathers, or at least those not disputed to have been written by them. Already men (apostolic fathers) claiming to have known and been taught by the apostles are quoting books not in our Bible today and alluding to forms of church government that would not please the Foy Wallace.

If I find anything really interesting I'll report back to you.
Last edited by B.H. on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Re: next intellectual project

Post by Ivy »

That's impressive, BH. Are you including anything by Leroy Garrett in that reading list? He was probably the greatest cofc historian of our time. In Sister Ivy's humble opinion.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:That's impressive, BH. Are you including anything by Leroy Garrett in that reading list? He was probably the greatest cofc historian of our time. In Sister Ivy's humble opinion.
Ivy, these books I am going to read were written the first hundred or two years after Christianity began. Leroy is way to far into the future for that.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:
Ivy wrote:That's impressive, BH. Are you including anything by Leroy Garrett in that reading list? He was probably the greatest cofc historian of our time. In Sister Ivy's humble opinion.
Ivy, these books I am going to read were written the first hundred or two years after Christianity began. Leroy is way to far into the future for that.
Oh, ok. Well, you can see I have never read them. :lol: I thought you were saying you were reading in general about the "church fathers".
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

You can find many translated writings on the web. I have read some. There are many books not in the Bible. You have to be careful because many are 2nd century.
Youtube and Smithsonian Channel are helpful. Look up forbidden books on youtube. Codex Gigas is fun. It is called the Devil's Bible. It contains a drawing of a horned devil. It was written in the 13th century by a monk who sold his soul to the devil. It's a large work. About 150 lbs.