Anyone here heard of Daniel Johnston? He's a genius

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
Kelly

Anyone here heard of Daniel Johnston? He's a genius

Post by Kelly »

Anyone here heard of Daniel Johnston? Or am I just behind the times? It is interesting how many famous people come from the churh of christ. He even went to Abalene. He is a manic depressant that wrote some great songs. And draws some great pictures. There is a free documentary on pluto.tv (The Devil and Daniel Johnston). If you love music I would strongly recommend watching it. If you know anyone that is clinically depressed this might give you a glimpse into their world.

Link to his music: https://www.last.fm/music/Daniel+Johnston http://www.hihowareyou.com/store/shop/music/
Documentary: Pluto.tv

Hope you all enjoy as much as I did.
Kelly

Please share with me the songs you like or that mean something to you.
A couple that stand out to me "True love will find you in the end", and, "Pot Head" but they are all good.
tarheel

Re: Anyone here heard of Daniel Johnston? He's a genius

Post by tarheel »

Never heard of him but then again, I am not into religious music.
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

It is not religious music. He is like a 80's 90's 00's Bob Dylan. Kurt Cobain and black eyed peas and others have recorded some of his songs. I just thought his songs were interesting.
Kelly
Lerk

Post by Lerk »

I've seen the "Hi, how are you" graffiti in Austin many times. Awhile back Apple was using one of his songs to advertise the latest Mac.

I had no idea he had CoC roots.
ena

Post by ena »

Bipolar people can do amazing things while the are up. Medications dull this so there is a lack of compliance which makes them hard to be around. When they are down they are very depressed. I had a friend that cycled about once a week. He'd sleep part of the weekend and be sick and depressed on Mondays and the rest of the week do the work of ten men. Most do not cycle that quickly. The cycles may take one to two years. I had a friend with a daughter that lived in a group home. This worked well because she could be watched. Things had pretty much settled down.
I could have been a real help to my friend had I known. He was unmedicated and undiagnosed. My son had graduated in psychology and had a diagnostic manual. We found an exact description of him in there. You had to live around him to even know. I have known two maybe three. The third owned a company and would seize control in his manic phase. Heads rolled when he did. I saw this once when there.