Religious Narcissism

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
Cootie Brown

Re: Religious Narcissism

Post by Cootie Brown »

Moogy wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:You people will not watch a 15 minute video but you will read a book? :shock: Who are you people, and what planet did you come from? :? You just want to know the highlights, well, DUH, that's the point of a short video. You can read Ehrman's books or you can watch his video. The video tells you everything the book does and in a lot less time. 8-) I really do not understand your logic.....no offense intended of course. :D
I have satellite internet with slow downloads and limited bandwidth. :?
Oh yeah, I forgot some of you folks live out in the boondocks. Yeah, a slow internet connection is a pain in the poopies for sure. My apologies, you get a pass on video watching. :mrgreen: But only if you live in the boondocks. ;)
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie, I'm a little surprised that you're so upset by people not doing what you want them to do. :P
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote:Cootie, I'm a little surprised that you're so upset by people not doing what you want them to do. :P
What made you think I was upset? I was using a bit of sarcasm in the context of humor, but it appears the humor part was too subtle. Sorry, no offense intended. I was only intending to have a little fun with the responses to my original post.

I am definitely not upset about anything. Some posts are interesting and some not so much. I filed this one under the not so much category. ;) :D
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:
Ivy wrote:Cootie, I'm a little surprised that you're so upset by people not doing what you want them to do. :P
What made you think I was upset?
This:
Cootie Brown wrote: You people will not watch a 15 minute video but you will read a book? :shock: Who are you people, and what planet did you come from? :? You just want to know the highlights, well, DUH, that's the point of a short video. You can read Ehrman's books or you can watch his video. The video tells you everything the book does and in a lot less time. 8-) I really do not understand your logic.....no offense intended of course. :D
I'd call that a little rant. :lol:

One thing....the video is of Dr. Les Carter, not Bart Ehrman.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

I take responsibility for the confusing dialogue in my post. First, it was intended to be humerous, but I failed to make that clear.

Second, I was not in any way intending to reference the video I originally posted featuring Dr.Carter. I was attempting, using humor, to point out a video summarizing a book takes considerably less time to watch than it does to read the book.

I was not ranting but I can see how someone could interpret my post as a rant, because I didn’t make my humerous intent clear. My bad, 20 lashes with a wet noodle for me.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:I take responsibility for the confusing dialogue in my post. First, it was intended to be humerous, but I failed to make that clear.

Second, I was not in any way intending to reference the video I originally posted featuring Dr.Carter. (Thank you, Cootie). I was attempting, using humor, to point out a video summarizing a book takes considerably less time to watch than it does to read the book.

I was not ranting but I can see how someone could interpret my post as a rant, because I didn’t make my humerous intent clear. My bad, 20 lashes with a wet noodle for me.
20 lashes unnecessary. :lol:

Cootie, I did finally get through that video, and you are right -- it is excellent and worth the listen. (Thank you, Cootie). Dr. Carter is very good. In the video, he does describe cofc to a "T", with their focus on appearances and "being right" over loving people.

I went on and watched another video of his that was especially helpful to me...the one about dealing with passive aggressive closet narcissists. I have dealt with a family member who has been using the "silent treatment / stonewalling" behaviors on me for 35 years, and the video gave me some interesting insights I had not considered. It was good to hear that for the most part I have been handling that person in the best way for the wellbeing of myself and my family.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

I’m glad you found it helpful Ivy, I did too.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Oh my goodness Cootie! This video is a gold mine of information. Point 2 - Lack of compliance = lack of sincerity. I was accused of that when I sent my exit letter. The term used in connection with my lack of participation, attendance and comments was (drum roll please) "committed", I wasn't committed :lol:

This therapist is pretty good. Great post.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

gordie91 wrote:Oh my goodness Cootie! This video is a gold mine of information. Point 2 - Lack of compliance = lack of sincerity. I was accused of that when I sent my exit letter. The term used in connection with my lack of participation, attendance and comments was (drum roll please) "committed", I wasn't committed :lol:

I think the people that stay in the c of C eventually end up “committed” ......... to a mental institution. 8-)
ena

Post by ena »

Cootie Brown wrote:
gordie91 wrote:Oh my goodness Cootie! This video is a gold mine of information. Point 2 - Lack of compliance = lack of sincerity. I was accused of that when I sent my exit letter. The term used in connection with my lack of participation, attendance and comments was (drum roll please) "committed", I wasn't committed :lol:

I think the people that stay in the c of C eventually end up “committed” ......... to a mental institution. 8-)
They should be committed. The link is to the point. Narcissism is hard to detect. There are often lies that lay around the corner. The lies come from the fact that they are trying to adjust reality to fit their idea of the way it is. This is not real world. If you cannot incorporate the real world into your thinking you come up with total nonsense. The ideal is that everyone is sexually perfect. Reality is that few humans are. You have gays, lesbians and transsexuals. What are you going to do. Deny they exist? Or start killing them. See the problem.