Religious Narcissism

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
Cootie Brown

Religious Narcissism

Post by Cootie Brown »

https://youtu.be/XBTwD5Nmyzg

Why is the Church of Christ, and other religious groups like them, the way they are? This is a very, very, good video and worth the investment of time to watch it. It explains a lot about why people are they way they are, when they believe they have the only truth.
Cootie Brown

Re: Religious Narcissism

Post by Cootie Brown »

No comments? I’m a little surprised by that. The issues addressed in the video go well beyond religion and apply to many aspects in life.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:No comments? I’m a little surprised by that. The issues addressed in the video go well beyond religion and apply to many aspects in life.
Some of us don't want to watch videos, Cootie. That may be what it is. I'll consider watching it when I get some time if you think it's that good.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:No comments? I’m a little surprised by that. The issues addressed in the video go well beyond religion and apply to many aspects in life.
Some of us don't want to watch videos, Cootie. That may be what it is. I'll consider watching it when I get some time if you think it's that good.
Ya know technology has changed and evolved for a reason, right? I know you’ve heard the saying, “Ya can’t teach an old dog new tricks.” I wouldn’t personally know about that cause I’m still a young whipper snapper, but I hear some of the old folks don’t hanker much to all this new technology stuff. But I’m sure you aren’t one of “them” folks....right? :lol: :lol:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:
Ivy wrote:
Ya know technology has changed and evolved for a reason, right? I know you’ve heard the saying, “Ya can’t teach an old dog new tricks.” I wouldn’t personally know about that cause I’m still a young whipper snapper, but I hear some of the old folks don’t hanker much to all this new technology stuff. But I’m sure you aren’t one of “them” folks....right? :lol: :lol:
I don't like watching You Tube videos any more b/c they are slow and generally time consuming with commercials and minimal payoff. So, no....it has nothing to do with my age (!) or a fear of technology. :roll: Holy *&%#%@ Cootie you need some social skills training!!!! :lol:

If you want people to watch a video here, just summarize it if you think it's that potentially enlightening.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

Ivy wrote: If you want people to watch a video here, just summarize it if you think it's that potentially enlightening.
Naw, that takes too much time and effort. And besides that I think the title of the video is self explanatory. Additionally, you likely already know why narcissism is common among religious folk. So, you’re right there is no need to watch the video. Nothing to see here, so move along and try not to block the aisles on your way out. 8-)
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Cootie Brown wrote:
Ivy wrote: If you want people to watch a video here, just summarize it if you think it's that potentially enlightening.
Naw, that takes too much time and effort. And besides that I think the title of the video is self explanatory. Additionally, you likely already know why narcissism is common among religious folk. So, you’re right there is no need to watch the video. Nothing to see here, so move along and try not to block the aisles on your way out. 8-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, I know it very well.

OK I am trying to watch it. When I get to a certain part, and see that there are 14 minutes left, my eyes glaze over.
agricola

Post by agricola »

I just don't care for watching videos, that's all. If it isn't important enough to summarize, then it isn't important enough for me to watch, now is it?

I'd read an article, though, or even a book. Pinker, Shermer....
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

You people will not watch a 15 minute video but you will read a book? :shock: Who are you people, and what planet did you come from? :? You just want to know the highlights, well, DUH, that's the point of a short video. You can read Ehrman's books or you can watch his video. The video tells you everything the book does and in a lot less time. 8-) I really do not understand your logic.....no offense intended of course. :D
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Cootie Brown wrote:You people will not watch a 15 minute video but you will read a book? :shock: Who are you people, and what planet did you come from? :? You just want to know the highlights, well, DUH, that's the point of a short video. You can read Ehrman's books or you can watch his video. The video tells you everything the book does and in a lot less time. 8-) I really do not understand your logic.....no offense intended of course. :D
I have satellite internet with slow downloads and limited bandwidth. :?
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages