Survey: Have you ever washed communion cups?

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".

Have you ever washed those tiny communion cups?

Yes, we had a place at the building to wash them.
32%
Yes, I took them home to wash them.
23%
No, my congregation used disposable cups.
23%
No, my church was one-cup, so we only had to wash one.
9%
No, I never was the person responsible for communion set-up and clean-up.
14%

Total votes: 22

Moogy

Survey: Have you ever washed communion cups?

Post by Moogy »

Please join me in remembrance of the work we did in the past...
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Re: Survey: Have you ever washed communion cups?

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote:Please join me in remembrance of the work we did in the past...
Oh my goodness!! I do remember washing some glass cups. But I can't remember if it was at the building.

I think it might have been during my Independent Christian Church years, but I surely did it a few times in cofc at some point. I remember that weird looking little suction cup thingy one used to fill the cups. And you had to have a refrigerator....was that ok? And a sink?

I would have been wishing for rubber gloves to avoid picking anything up from the "brethren". :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

Daddy was a deacon.
Deacons do all the grunt work.
Daddy would count the collection money after church, so we were stuck there til he was done, and therefore we were dragooned (or at least I was) into helping clean up.
The church originally met in an old house, which had a kitchen. After a new church building was constructed, it included a small kitchen area with a sink and fridge for the grape juice.
The church had glass communion cups for a long time. Eventually they switched to disposable plastic.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Sean

Post by Sean »

duh...who didn't wash the glass cups at some point?

as a young child, you get to sip the unused cups as you empty the tray...most exciting at first
then a little older you get to help dry them
then you move up to rinse maybe
and then eventually you are trusted to even wash those slippery little suckers.

As an older teen and as an adult it was no longer fun or exciting and it was a chore.

But often the wash place was up behind and around the baptistry area in some weird little room...just made it all the more exciting as a child (again at first).

A couple of places we were at had no facility to wash the cups so they had to go home with someone. I can see them all lined up on a cup towel on the tile counter top
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I want to know who has washed baptismal robes, and / or cleaned the building, including toilets. Should I start a new thread?

My sweet maiden aunt used to bake the communion bread way back in the day.
ena

Post by ena »

Do not know who washed the cups. I do remember my mother filling them. She had a cup filler that was a container of grape juice with a squeeze bulb. One squeeze and the cup was filled. I loved grape juice and would finish off the remaining cups at night when she cleaned up. Somebody washed them but I do not know who. There are plastic cup and paper disposable cups. The matso can be bought at a grocery store. I love matso ball soup. The matso ball is made with crushed matso, oil and egg. It soakes up broth you set it in. I use chicken broth with vegetables. Celery makes it good. If I was doing it today I would use yellow curry. It's not Jewish but works well with Chicken. Sprinkle in some crushed matso to thicken. I can not eat this today because of diabetes. Wheat sets of my blood glucose (sugars). It much like Chicken and dumplings which is something my wife loves. I did most of the cooking for my family. My mother was a good cook and she showed how she did various things. She did know more about pastries than I do. She did let me mess about in the kitchen for years. Jewish penicillin is chicken soup. My mother would make it when I was sick. Actually my wife ran into a Rabbinical line on my father's side. It is very old. A man in my family came to America in the late 1600's fleeing religious persecution. He had trouble with the church who wanted him to register as a Jew. He was Mennonite and objected. I knew his name because I had once seen a genealogy that my aunt had. I thought it was because he was pacifist but was wrong. I have Union on my mothers side. I have heard there were Confederates on my father's side. This is not verified. You can get into some interesting stuff here. Much of it depends on where your relatives lived.
katisha

Post by katisha »

We didn't have to take them home to wash them, but I chose to because the sink in the basement was nasty, and I wanted them to be sanitized. A little bleach in the dishpan, and let them soak for about a half hour. At least then I knew I wouldn't catch anything next time I took communion.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I remember times when they sat so long at my house that they grew mold. Yuck. But I would wash and sterilize in the dishwasher.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote:I remember times when they sat so long at my house that they grew mold. Yuck. But I would wash and sterilize in the dishwasher.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You could have given the brethren botulism!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ena

Post by ena »

Ivy wrote:
Moogy wrote:I remember times when they sat so long at my house that they grew mold. Yuck. But I would wash and sterilize in the dishwasher.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You could have given the brethren botulism!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Imagine being a one cupper and the person next to you has the flu.