Great is Thy Faithfulness

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
FinallyFree

Great is Thy Faithfulness

Post by FinallyFree »

Does anyone else here love this song? This song just touches me so much. I go to a contemporary church service, but because of the Lenten season, we did some traditional songs this morning. The lyrics to this song are very meaningful. I am glad the lights are dim at the contemporary service because I was getting all choked up. This happens to me a lot.
Ivy

Re: Great is Thy Faithfulness

Post by Ivy »

Very nice, FF!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
ena

Post by ena »

FinallyFree wrote:Does anyone else here love this song? This song just touches me so much. I go to a contemporary church service, but because of the Lenten season, we did some traditional songs this morning. The lyrics to this song are very meaningful. I am glad the lights are dim at the contemporary service because I was getting all choked up. This happens to me a lot.
I believe songs can have direct spiritual input. If it sings to your spirit encourage it. Look up songs on youtube. There are meditation pieces there that lend themselves to prayer. Do whatever works for you. No one pushes God around. God is an artist. If you know him you will even see his humor. I see his humor in Jonah in several places. Jonah did not want to save the Ninevehites. He tried to run. The result was that the boat he was on was storm tossed and they had to throw him overboard because he was the cause of the storm. A great fish swallowed him and puked him up by Nineveh. That is God's humor. What they believed in was a fish god. When Jonah preached they believed him and repented. Because Nineveh was saved Jonah went into a sulk. He was so angry with God that he just sat there a sulked. God made a plant grow up to shade him. God made sure he was fed. After all it was not God's problem but Jonah's. God is patient with us as he is with the CoC. That is why it still exists. Maybe some good will come of it? I don't see it but I am not God. It is God's business and not mine. Don't get in the way. You can end up a smear on the ground. You don't to spend eternity talking about smear tactics.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I believe it has been called the Christian Church anthem (or something like that), but I recall it more associated with Billy Graham.
I think the Methodist picked it up rather more recently.

Onward Christian Soldiers is another old tune that can be used as an anthem of sorts.