Squirrels Eating Car Wires

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
FinallyFree

Squirrels Eating Car Wires

Post by FinallyFree »

My elderly mother has had trouble with squirrels doing damage to car wiring. She has had to have her car repaired twice. I googled this and it is real. Some makes of cars have used a soy coating on wires that rodents will eat. There is a spray you can use to repel them. I ordered her some from Amazon. There is also a sonic noise and light flashing device that can be placed under the hood to repel them. That whole thing is so weird!
Cootie Brown

Re: Squirrels Eating Car Wires

Post by Cootie Brown »

If she has comprehensive auto insurance coverage aka other than collision coverage, the repairs might be covered under her auto insurance, less the policy deductible.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Cootie Brown wrote:If she has comprehensive auto insurance coverage aka other than collision coverage, the repairs might be covered under her auto insurance, less the policy deductible.
I never thought about that. I will ask her.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

We live in the country, along with lots of critters. My old Honda’s headlights were getting brighter and dimmer for no clear reason. Yep, it was squirrel damage to the wiring.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

They can also get into your attic and destroy your wiring.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Squirrels are such bad babies.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:Squirrels are such bad babies.
Maybe, but please don't hurt them!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote:
B.H. wrote:Squirrels are such bad babies.
Maybe, but please don't hurt them!!
I wont. My grandfather tamed a squirrel one time to where it would come down a tree and take nuts and fruits from his hand.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

We lived in the Sierra foothills at about 1,700 ft up. We bought our 1st house when our salaries were quite low. We had a 1st and 2nd on it to even buy it. It had digger pines. These grow pinenuts in cones. When a cone would fall you pull the nut break it open and eat the nut. The squirrels loved them. When you walked under them the would drop pieces of pinecone on you. They rarely missed. To them you are a predator.
ena

Post by ena »

B.H. wrote: I wont. My grandfather tamed a squirrel one time to where it would come down a tree and take nuts and fruits from his hand.
It takes while to do that. I have seen them steal bird food. They appear to have pouches like a hamster. Many a tree has sprouted from a squirrel hiding seeds. Another God thing. Let there be life.