Getting Rid of a Piano

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
FinallyFree

Getting Rid of a Piano

Post by FinallyFree »

Getting rid of a piano is not easy. The Salvation Army won’t take it. I called a store that sells used pianos and offered to give it to them for free, but they said I would have to pay to have it picked up. I am leery of putting an ad out because I don’t want an open invitation for strangers to come to my house.
B.H.

Re: Getting Rid of a Piano

Post by B.H. »

Call up several Church of christs and tell them you heard they changed positions on instruments and they can have your piano for free.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:Call up several Church of christs and tell them you heard they changed positions on instruments and they can have your piano for free.
I think it's a real shame that something of value like that is so difficult to give away. We have one that one of our sons is going to take when he and his wife move into their house. Otherwise, I don't know what we'll do with it.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Sean

Post by Sean »

Post a message at a music store that teaches piano or look for private lesson piano teachers and let them know you have one that needs a new home. That might cut down on the fear factor of strangers. At least the person has a connection to some music teacher and someone else has met them.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Sean wrote:Post a message at a music store that teaches piano or look for private lesson piano teachers and let them know you have one that needs a new home. That might cut down on the fear factor of strangers. At least the person has a connection to some music teacher and someone else has met them.
That's actually a good idea.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Actually, I had come up with the idea of calling places that give piano lessons. Yes, I will do that!
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I left a message at a place that does piano lessons. Someone just texted me back that they don’t know anyone who needs a piano. I will contact more places.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I may just have to use the piano as a display place for family photos.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

If I had a home and did not rent an upstairs apartment I'd take it off your hands for you. I used to play piano but haven't in years.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

FinallyFree wrote:Getting rid of a piano is not easy. The Salvation Army won’t take it. I called a store that sells used pianos and offered to give it to them for free, but they said I would have to pay to have it picked up. I am leery of putting an ad out because I don’t want an open invitation for strangers to come to my house.
That is crazy that they won't pick it up themselves even though you're giving it away. You would think a piano store would have a truck. There's no way I would give it to them if that is how they are.

I would recommend just asking around and eventually you'll find someone who will be glad to take it.

But unless a family member or friend of yours wants it, you will likely wind up having someone you don't know coming to your house.

I would recommend against using freecycle because people on there will want you to deliver the piano to them.