Praying for Trump?

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
Ivy

Praying for Trump?

Post by Ivy »

Y'all know that I'm not a Trump fan. My thoughts of him tend to be all negative. I try to avoid thinking about him or his family.

That said, in my desire to develop spiritually...I wonder what would happen if I decided to pray for and bless Trump? Would that enable his dysfunction, or.....would it possibly help him with his true needs so that we can all be safer until he's moved on? (Trump gets help, Trump decides to step down so he can be at peace, etc., and Trump is voted out) What do y'all think?

The Universe works in mysterious ways.

**Please note that we're in the Tea House, so keep it nice. :D
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FinallyFree

Re: Praying for Trump?

Post by FinallyFree »

Nancy Pelosi says she prays for him. You could give it a try!
tarheel

Post by tarheel »

Ivy wrote:Y'all know that I'm not a Trump fan. My thoughts of him tend to be all negative. I try to avoid thinking about him or his family.

That said, in my desire to develop spiritually...I wonder what would happen if I decided to pray for and bless Trump? Would that enable his dysfunction, or.....would it possibly help him with his true needs so that we can all be safer until he's moved on? (Trump gets help, Trump decides to step down so he can be at peace, etc., and Trump is voted out) What do y'all think?

I note that many evangelicals say they pray for him all the time. So that means there has been 3.5 years of prayers. Has it changed him or his behaviour? Nada. If anything it has only gotten worse. So while it might make you feel better don't expect it to change anything.
zeek

Post by zeek »

tarheel wrote:
Ivy wrote:Y'all know that I'm not a Trump fan. My thoughts of him tend to be all negative. I try to avoid thinking about him or his family.

I note that many evangelicals say they pray for him all the time. So that means there has been 3.5 years of prayers. Has it changed him or his behaviour? Nada. If anything it has only gotten worse. So while it might make you feel better don't expect it to change anything.
Hmmm...The scriptures teach that God hears the righteous (I Peter 3:12) and that the prayer of the righteous avails much (James 5:16). Given the evangelical community's total embrace and support for the living embodiment of corruption in the form of Donald Trump they obviously have no credible claim on being righteous. Therefore the prayers of this community are worthless and no one should expect any results from them.

That being said, if a spiritual person feels led to pray for Mr. Trump or feels that it is an obligation to pray for him then he or she should and as long as we offer prayers that "Thy will be done" in reference to Mr. Trump then there can be no adverse effects from praying for him.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

FinallyFree wrote:Nancy Pelosi says she prays for him. You could give it a try!
Sorry, but the image of Pelosi praying period, is difficult for me to get my mind around. That would be the equivalent of seeing Trump pray. I can’t envision such a thing from either one of them.

I don’t see either one of them as God fearing folk, their egos are just too big to have any room for God. They might pray if they had a camera on them and they thought it might be good PR.

But hey, if you guys think prayer will help have at it.
tarheel

Post by tarheel »

Cootie Brown wrote:
Sorry, but the image of Pelosi praying period, is difficult for me to get my mind around. That would be the equivalent of seeing Trump pray. I can’t envision such a thing from either one of them.

I don’t see either one of them as God fearing folk, their egos are just too big to have any room for God. They might pray if they had a camera on them and they thought it might be good PR.

I'll have to disagree with you regarding Pelosi on this one, Cootie. I think she is sincere. Her anger when challenged on the subject was sincere. She left me with the impression she is a sincere catholic.
agricola

Post by agricola »

She's been a dedicated Catholic her whole life - and raised all of her kids in 'the church' as well. She and her husband have 5 kids born between 1963 and 1970 (you do the math). If that isn't Catholic, I don't know what is.

I believe her. She prays for the president. I am guessing that she sees it, at least in part, as a discipline for HER own good!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

If someone says they pray for someone, I do not judge them and say they do not.
I will add that I do not pray for Trump. I guess I feel he does not want the guidance and it would do no good. When I see pictures of people laying their hands on him and praying for him, it just looks wrong. After all, he has said he has never asked God for forgiveness (or anyone else). It just does not compute.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I want the President to do what is best for our country, any president. There have been plenty of accounts of people wishing the worst for President Trump, from illness to death to ill will towards his young child to personal loss of loved ones and on and on. Maybe that has had an impact on his character and behavior as well and might explain why some prayers seem ineffective?
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

tarheel wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:

I'll have to disagree with you regarding Pelosi on this one, Cootie. I think she is sincere. Her anger when challenged on the subject was sincere. She left me with the impression she is a sincere catholic.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.