Sad and Alone Tonight

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
Melanie

Sad and Alone Tonight

Post by Melanie »

May I come here to unload my heart? I haven't been active on this site for a long time. I eventually got over most of the trauma I was experiencing from my exodus from the cofC and reached a place where I didn't need a support group anymore. I owe a big thank you to everyone who was here for me then so that I could reach that point, by the way.

BUT, tonight my heart is heavy and I'm home alone with no one to talk to, so I thought I'd come here, if that's okay. A long time ago, I posted here about a childhood friend of mine who suffered greatly at the hands of cofC elders. His story is long and sordid and was the beginning of my doubts about that organization. Anyway, I received word this morning that he passed away last week from flu-like symptoms. He was home alone, and he was found the next day. They did not test his body, but his brother says it is believed that he probably died of Covid 19. I spoke with this friend a couple of times a month at least; the last time we spoke was on March 17. He suffered from frequent insomnia and knew that I am a night owl, so he'd often text me late at night with "You up?" messages. If I didn't answer, he'd text my sister! I am going to miss him so much. It hurts my heart to know that he died alone. I also hurt because I know he never really reached a place of peace after all the damage that the cofC we grew up in inflicted on him. He had his demons to fight, but he was a good man with a huge loving heart. He leaves two teenage children behind.

Thank you for letting me spill this here.
SolaDude

Re: Sad and Alone Tonight

Post by SolaDude »

I would simply say that you obviously were as good a friend to him as anyone could have been and you were ultimately a trusted and reliable saving grace for his life, something for which he was obviously thankful for to the end.....
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

So sad. Such a painful loss, losing a long-time friend.
katisha

Post by katisha »

Melanie, my heart goes out to you. So sorry for your loss.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I'm sorry for your friend too.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I'm sorry, melanie.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.