An Important Anniversary

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
zeek

An Important Anniversary

Post by zeek »

While the board was down, I passed an important anniversary. The 22nd of December marked 7 years since I walked out of coC as any kind of active participant. That was the Sunday morning following Phil R_obertson's anti gay comments that caused such a stir and resulted in him being suspended from the Duck Dynasty show. The preacher where I was attending decided to defend Phil and was in the middle of the standard fundie / coC gay bashing sermon when I just got up and walked out as he was speaking. That was my last day as a member. That congregation doesn't exist any longer. They first turned into a "non denominational community church" then just collapsed and ceased to exist a few months later when the preacher went to work for a large Baptist congregation. Sometimes, I still miss being a part of a group and the social structure that comes with that but when I stop and think of what that experience was really like, it was never really satisfying because no matter how long I attended or how much I did I was always kept on the outer fringes of the group and never fully accepted. I attribute that to the fact that I could never fully conform to the group norm and be married and have kids. Those groups exact a high price for nonconformity. I guess I finally determined that the price for participating in those groups is more than it is worth to me; so, I got out.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Ivy

Re: An Important Anniversary

Post by Ivy »

How horrible that must have been, for your very identity to be attacked from the pulpit. I'm glad you got up and walked out, and that you have an exact date to mark your departure. I don't have an exact date and wish I did.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Well, I could forgiveabate teh gay bashing, but becoming Baptist is unforgivable. Next thing you know that preacher will want to be the pope!
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
indigoblue

Post by indigoblue »

I don't remember the date but do remember the moment when I told myself that I couldn't do it any longer. I was walking alone across the church parking lot. I was already late which was by design so I could sneak inside and sit in the back without having to shake hands with the greeting committee. I was only attending so my elderly parents wouldn't be upset. I stopped halfway across the parking lot, turned around, and got back in the car. The charade was over.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

indigoblue wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:17 pm I don't remember the date but do remember the moment when I told myself that I couldn't do it any longer. I was walking alone across the church parking lot. I was already late which was by design so I could sneak inside and sit in the back without having to shake hands with the greeting committee. I was only attending so my elderly parents wouldn't be upset. I stopped halfway across the parking lot, turned around, and got back in the car. The charade was over.
That's more like my story, but mine was gradual over time. But I identify with your realization "I couldn't do it any longer". I wonder if mental health professionals would equate the experience in some way to a divorce or death of a relative or close friend.